What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Originally posted by nick2

There used to be a bar, the entrance was on the High Street, that was below ground, under where Blacks hiking shop is now I think, I can't remeber what it was called but I remember falling down the stairs one night and getting a free pint.

What was that bar called ?

The Geisha Bar?

Having reah this ENTIRE thread, I think it save to conclude that EVERYONE here prefers 'old' Sheffield to the ghastly, quite ugly monstrous mix of new architecture we now have to look at.

Imagine one sunny morning and finding yourself in the middle of town, but its all quite quite different. You somehow dont seem to recognize anything at all and yet its all so familiar. grabbing a newspaper you realize its July 1980 and you are back in time 25 years and everyone is staring at you as your clothes dont quite look as fashionable back in 1980. Imagine walking round all those old places mentioned on this thread, one after the other, and experiencing the magic that used to be original Sheffield, as we know it. Imagine....

.....and then going into one of few original and untouched pubs left, the Brown Bear, only to discover they dont recognize your 2005 version of the five or ten pound note, and you have no change on you. The joy of beer at 45 pence a pint and you cant buy any!!!

In fact, your money is all useless and so you can just absorb the sights and sounds of Sheffield and hope to find a proper old one pound note on the street somewhere.....

shops on fargate...

the golden egg

wot was the american style diner called? half way down below whsmiths. they used to do coke floats. remember them..a scoop of ice cream in a glass of coke.

also the wimpy by pauldens (now debenhams) that had silver service no less

the smell of stinkin cheese in bhs on the moor

oh it's all coming back to me now!

it must be tea time as my memories are all food related!

I found this forum when looking for Rebina shoes. Read all of this thread. A few things missing ...

Rebina Shoes used to be Cloggs - (sold Gary glitter style platform shoes)

Tramps on King Street

Mr Chelsea on King Street

No-one has mentioned the Fiesta

Sexy Rexy only mentioned once !

The sound booths in Wilson Peck (to listen to records)

Pig & Whistle (Wig & Pisshole)

Wig & Pen

Cineplex

The nightclub at Nether Edge ( ??? was this Tramps)

Especially miss :-

The Limit (Fab Music)

Rebina

X-Clothes

Redgates

Kings Head

All the Breweries & Pubs

No 2 Bus

Tremendous thread. Really enjoyed remembering all those things about Sheffield that were lost in the back of the mind. Clearly at turned 50 I am not one of the oldest on SF - thanks to everyone for their comments. I agree with the vast majority (though some escaped me in my sheltered youth)

The Zing Vaa and the yorkshire/Chinaman made me laugh

Tuckwoods for the annual (read Xmas) meal out complete in short trousers and collar and tie.

Redgates - goes without saying

The snowball fights across Dyche Lane between Jordanthorpe boys and Rowlinson boys

Four lane ends and Brocklehursts where the Norton roundabout now is

My first Saturday job - 7s 6d (37.5p) as a butchers boy for the Co-op near the top of Meadowhead. I had an old black boneshaker bike with the basket at the front until I broke the pedal. Then had to carry people's meat orders in a rucksack around Greenhill/Norton areas. Health & Safety; Environmental Health?? - didn't exist

Ernest the butcher there teaching me how to draw a turkey (not in the artistic sense) at Xmas and eating the raw eggs he found cracked on delivery to the shop. Salmonella didn't exist

Aquatic Fish place on Shalesmoor - the staff all seemed to know what they were talking about. Never found a present day shop to rival it

I am sure there are many good things about today's Sheffield but those past memories take some beating

Archived