What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

The Building on the corner was Wilson Peck's, a large muiscal instrument store, more Bechstein than Les Paul.

H Samuel's took it over.

The cinema disappeared in the '60s I think, and became "modern" offices!

Tazz

The Gaumont cinema used to be called The Regent in my day !! and The City Hall had two Lions on the stage. what happened to the Hippodrome Cinema?

...the book shops on chapel walk...

The one I remember was the Methodist Bookshop at the Crucible end of Chapel Walk. I was never really aware of the religious connotations, as I was about 10 at the time. It had a fantastic children's section, down some rickety wooden stairs.

It turned into a blokes' clothes shop in the late 80s, I think :( .

The old Trams that always ran on time with the no SPITTING SIGNS.

Being able to go to a park and see it in all its glory.

The throng in the Fish Market every Saturday.

Whitsuntide Clothes

Whit Walks

The Easter Parade

The fair at the Farm Grounds

Being able to burn most of your rubbish on your house fire( I know its pollution)

Children playing with a stick and a bike rim.

Kite season

Marble season

Children playing Kick Can

Children playing Farmer Farmer.

Little girls dressed as little girls and not clones of pop singers

Short trousers

Joy-Sticks

Hopalong Cassidy

Two way family favourites

The well being when you went in town (no idiots or hoodies)

Being able to play on the street for over half an hour at a time between cars coming

The Empire Theatre with all its star performers

The Rag and Tag Market

Seeing steam trains at the Victoria and Midland Stations

Council workmen cleaning the streets with just a brush and shovel with a horse and cart in tow

..arriving Midland Station...the sound of the rolling mill at night...going over the wall near the boilers at the Royal Infirmary...a shortcut to the pub in Kelvin Flats...hole in the road...soot patina on nearly everything...another pub, the White Rails...on the way down the hill from Royal Hospital...Ken and Joyce, the pubkeepers...joyous...anyone remember this place?

How long ago was this, I can't remember Ken & Joyce??

He said the Barleycorn PT, and it was down the road from the Albert, and was known (or so I am told) as the haunt of some of the ladies of the night. ;)

I remember the Barleycorn. wasn't it was mainly yellow on the outside? An old work colleague of mine used to call it the Bagatelle (because of the ladies of the night) derived from "Bag Hotel"

Archived