What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

i miss the sales and echange shops on attercliffe road that ran from the cliff to tinsley.spent ages looking in them at the radios and train sets wishing it was me going in to buy them.and my street chippingham st.now we have a tram running through it always get off and remember when i come back to see my parents..9 see they have built new houses around there now.would like to know what the area is like and prices now

thanks

andy m

I know all these, were you born in the mid fifties by any chance ? What happened to that massive bouncer at the Penthouse ?

I have no idea but you didn't mess with him. Born late 50's and worked at Hodgsons Camera Shop when I left school. I also remember Violet Mays record shop at the back of the Moor. When I think of the records I sold to her for a pittance when I was hard up I could weep. Some of them would be worth a small fortune now.

Wasn't Violet May in Duke Street prior to that? In the vicinity of Park Baths. I recall buying jazz records from her and I left Sheffield in 1959,

I remember Hodgsons in the Arcade (the name of which escapes me), I was in the school photographic society and used to buy all my gear there.

Smileyjiver, the minerva is still there, after a fashion... but it's under different ownership, and has a new name.

Cockaynes is no more, it's now an Argos catalogue store, and the ABC was demolished about 20 yrs ago; there's an hotel, a travelodge on the site now.

the Odeon in pond street (well. flat street, If each-had-their- own! ) has been a mecca bingo hall for over thirty years.

the beautiful art-deco Gaumont was demolished and on the site now, is a red-scaffolding-pole-and-glass carbuncle that everyone (almost without exception) thinks is dreadful.

the subway outside Boots' (by the Cathedral) is also long ago filled in; the supertram track now runs over where it was. the same fate awaited the "hole-in-the-road", too, sadly.

Hi Plain-Talker. Thanks but I am aware of all these changes - I only left Sheffield 2.1/2 years ago!!!

I was just really reminiscing about the places that I remembered as a young girl. I know all the places that I have mentioned are no longer around and haven't been for a long time.

Understand that there are still quite a lot of changes happening though in Sheffield and lots of places that were there are no long - is Swiss Cottage down by the Cathedral still there and Churchills on Campo Lane?

What I think is sad how Sheffield has lost quite a lot of its old buildings and had awful modern buildings put in their place and not always for the better.

Also, from reading the reports of Sheffield it seems like the Council are still having madcap schemes that cost the taxpayer the earth and then don't work.

Archived