What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

I miss:

Fishtank.

Definately Redgates.

Trying on hats in the old BHS.

Pubs being individual - you go in pubs now and all the menus are the same as the next pub and so is the decor, loud music. Boring.

Driving on roads without potholes.

I feel sad every time I drive past the old Jessops.

Did there used to be such a thing as a City Clipper bus??

One thing I would not miss though would be the markets being flattened. What an ugly eyesore. Full of chavs, cheap merchandise and foul mouthed people who spit and throw litter.

yer i know what u mean the old sheffield is the best untill they destoyed it all and i remember the city clipper bus used to be free to ride round town center

Chitterlings and Bag with plenty of Salt and Vinegar and Pepper on, (obviously it has to be non-brewed condiment -NOT malt).:thumbsup:

Oh no, think I'm going to be sick! I remember my dad eating that and the sight of it used to make me heave. Anybody who can eat that AND keep it down deserves a medal.

I miss the Norfolk Market Hall with all the fresh flowers and the excellent Stamp shop in the middle.

Entering there was like entering a large cathredral but with a freshness which I cannot describe, maybe it was the flowers and the constant use of the stone water fountains by the florists

Philip Cann's music shop at the top of Dixon Lane. it had steep steps down into it, Big Ada had her stall almost in front of it.

The many 'Barrow Boys' who had their barrows precariously parked on the hill with their weighing scales dubiously balanced due to the incline, they brought the lane to life not lifeless as it is today.

There was the Broken Biscuit Company in the Hall but as kids we never bought them as we used to pinch Aniseed dog biscuits that stood in open sacks outside Oates Pet Shop outside the Hall.

The Cowshed's Pub underneath the Market with its polished copper covered round tables.

The Pet's corner in the Rag and Tag Market, The brass weighing scales, Edwards the Pot Man, Dixon's Boiled Spice just inside the market selling Lemon Drops, Spice Fish, Pear Drops and Humbugs.

Ormoids Magical Elixor a cure for all medical complaints.

Johnny (Cox's?) cheapest fruit and veg in the market near the doorway opposite South Street.

The huge 101 year old Rat that was caught when they pulled down the old wooden buildings of the fruit market.

Happy Days!

Hi PopT,

When you say the stamp shop is it the one called Harringtons that moved to Castle Market in the basement.

I remember the the Rag and Tag and the Brass Scales there was also Daves Carpets in the Rag and Tag with the best secondhand carpets in Sheffield, there was also the best tool shop at the far end exit towards the station.

Can you remember the china stall where the guy would hold a full dinner and tea service in his hands, you are right oh what happy days never to be seen again

Hi PopT,

When you say the stamp shop is it the one called Harringtons that moved to Castle Market in the basement.

I remember the the Rag and Tag and the Brass Scales there was also Daves Carpets in the Rag and Tag with the best secondhand carpets in Sheffield, there was also the best tool shop at the far end exit towards the station.

Can you remember the china stall where the guy would hold a full dinner and tea service in his hands, you are right oh what happy days never to be seen again

I think the man with the plates was 'potty' Edwards - he did Barnsley market too......

Anyone remember the Donut machine at the bottom of the steps in Woolworths - there was a que most saturday mornings....

the list would be almost endless, but the thing i miss most would have to be the old " eastbank" kop at hillsbrough, when the kop was the kop, thats where i first saw the blue and white wizards at the age of 5 with my dad, and some 43 yrs later i'm still a regular at hillsborough.

next would be the "truro" pub (now long gone), at the bottom of granville road

thats where at 14 i bought my first pint.

the hole in the road, the classic cinema

Archived