What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Roxys on a friday and saturday night

oh yeah i miss that too..back in about 86, 87 it was brill...we all used to dance around our handbags :banana: and guaranteed to pull too.. we used to get drunk before we went in and make the 1 drink in there last all night lol :P i also remember marples.. i used to go there before we went to roxy's

I miss the Sheffield Philharmonic Concert series that used to run from Autumn through to late Spring and involved a concert every week (except hols) at the Oval Hall of Sheffield's City Hall.

I picked these up in the 60's and attended until the revamp took place at the hall whereupon they have become a thing of the past, although there are sporadic concerts still taking place.

The Halle was the backbone orchestra but there were several guest orchestras and many of the soloists and conductors were from the top drawer of the concert world. Alternate Fridays and Saturdays, there was a concert and after 'a week at the office' it was a perfect antidote.

I assume finance is the underlying reason - and I'm not interested in politics - but I think much thanks must be attributed to the late Enid Hattersley, who was chairperson of the Libraries & Arts Committee, for her support of them. How eagerly did I look forward to the pre-season prospectus to see what might stave off the winter blues in the months ahead.

i miss not being able to walk in town without the fear of being,mugged,shot,stabbed,asked for money ect ect

I don't know which part of town you are in, or what sort of shady characters you hang around with, but I'm not frightened to walk (ok, wheel) in town or that that I may be stabbed or shot...

When I get asked for money, by beggars, I just say a straight, firm "Nope!"

Mugged? I take sensible precautions not to flash any money/ phone etc, about.

Let's get this into proportion here, for goodness sake, and lose the paranoia and scaremongering. Sheffield is pretty much one of the safest cities, if notthethe safest city in the country.

I was back in Sheffield two weeks ago on business.Having heard all the hype about Magna I thought I would have a look as I work in the steelmaking industry and Magna is on the site of Steel Peach and Tozer.

Well! What a let down,a lot of corney gimmicks that appeal to little kids.

The funace show was a lot of flashing lights and a few sparks.

Guides that seemed to know nothing about the historical importance of the place they were in.

I asked one of the guides what the idea of the place was and was told it was more to expain the nature of the earth,water and the air.

I don't know who is more out of touch,me for paying ten quid for a load of rubbish or the operators of Magna who seem to get away with providing a load of rubbish.

CF8M

Yes, most of the exhibits at magna seem designed for kids I agree with that.

The "Big Melt", the son et lumiere lightshow, I thought, was absolutely fantastic, showing how the melting shop would have looked when in operation. That for me was the best bit of the visit. the voiceover was tastefully and sympathetically done, talking about the life of a steelworker.

I'm with Sandie and PopT. When I visit Sheffield, usually abt every 5 years, I miss the old Sheaf rag and tag market and the neighboring roads, Sheaf Street, Broad Street, Dixon Lane that blended in with the market. It was so vibrant and full of character, not to mention characterS. Duke St I've already written abt in another thread but it was my 'hood and now it's gone. So many cities fall into the trap of using their downtown core as a traffic thruway instead of maintaining it as an economically and culturally vibrant hub. Edinburgh, Dundee (at least from first impressions) and over here, Halifax, Nova Scotia have got it right. But I do miss the Sheffield that I used to know.

Policemen. One sergeant patrolled Sharrow lane and always had a pair of white gloves, he wore one on his left hand and carried the other because it had nuts and bolts in the fingers which he would flick round our ear as he passed. Adults seeing this thought it was a friendly gesture and thought us kids mardy buggers because we grabbed our face in agony. It wasn't pleasant but it kept the Yobo culture down unlike today with kids running around completely out of control.

Without repeating myself on this subject on several other threads,i know im not looking back at Sheffield in days gone by through "rose coloured specs".any one who lived in sheffield in the 70s im sure would agree with me,it was a great place to live,yes it had its troubles,but so did all the country,three day working weeks,strikes, power cuts etc.but im sure people were happier with out all the trappings of modern life.

christmas in Sheffield was a magical time,the city center from the Wicker to Moorfoot was a wash with decorations,it was like Blackpool at the right side of the pennines.

we also had a cheeper better more reliable bus service,a city center you could drive through and get to where you wanted,and park near to where you were going.

a local radio station you could relate to(Radio Hallam) not student radio they call Hallam fm now. more people had secure jobs till maggie got in power.

sheffield and sheffield people had caractor and a sence of passion about the place.

we worked hard and played hard,going to places like the fiesta,and our two football teams were doing fairly well.

the first two mins,of the film The Full Monty sums up sheffield,its taken from another documentry about Sheffield.

Archived