What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Just skimmed through this thread so don't know if it has been mentioned before or not, but a couple of odd things i miss in Sheffield which most other people don't are Kelvin Flats, and the Hole In The Road, yes both run down but i thought they were quit innovative and different with huge potential.

Just skimmed through this thread so don't know if it has been mentioned before or not, but a couple of odd things i miss in Sheffield which most other people don't are Kelvin Flats, and the Hole In The Road, yes both run down but i thought they were quit innovative and different with huge potential.

I don't know about the Kelvin Flats GW but I certainly agree with you on the hole in the road. I'm sure it could have been expanded more to create out of the weather shopping for that whole area. Of course also being look after and policed much better would have helped.

• 2 weeks later...

What a thread, taken me about 2 hours o read! Most things have been covered, but a few that I don't think have are:

- Going to the Harlequin, off the Whicker on a Saturday night in the 80s to hearthe jammin' sessions;

- Being able to play '1-2-3- Done ya' in the road on summer evenings, because it wasn't filled with parked cars;

- Meadowhall when it was full of industry and we could actually MAKE things here, instead of importing it all;

- Going to Victoria station with me dad on a Sunday morning and stamping out my name on an aluminium tag from a big dymo-type machine on the platform;

- The smell of fresh fish from Mann's fishmongers in Crosspool, and having a bank there - no restaurants nor takeaways at all there in those days

- Fletcher's red & cream vans bringing fresh bread directly to your street;

- The annual Coldwell Lane bonfire, the community spirit of those who volunteered to build it, and the parade from Crosspool to light it. (I suppose the Health and Safety Taliban have banned it now on the usual spurious grounds?)

- Public toilets in town, like the ones in the underpass on the Moor, near Redgates

But what DON'T we miss from earlier days? Chimneys belching smoke, Smog and grime, being forced to wear shorts until you were 11, poky slum housing with outside loos, smoky top decks of buses, 'dead' rivers, etc. Yes, many things have also improved!

Nigel, If you miss The Harlequin, try the old Manchester Arms, on Nursery Street:- that's been renamed the Harlequin!

Thanks Plain talker, but since I now live 60 miles away, I tend not to be in Sheffield for drinks very much! I'm sure others who would remember the great atmosphere (and frankly great music) will appreciate knowing that though.

Archived