What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Sorry you just seemed to be havin a dig at the public transport in sheffield - we get a lot of people posting complaining about them on here!

Ah, I see, no worries. I'm not actually against the present public transport. As I see it they are on a hiding to nothing. When it was heavily subsidised, and as near as matters free to use, I rarely used my car. It's not the transport companies' fault that we are where we are. Anyway, that's probably for another thread.

Back to this thread.

Maybe an odd one - the "old" Botanical Gardens. I grew up with its decayed and faded glass houses, very much in need of a makeover, and loved it. I used to visit with my mum, and see the parrots on their stands outside. The darkened interiors. We would look down into the bear pit, part filled in and overgrown. It was a magical place, full of atmosphere and my imagination. Now its just like a suburban Winter Garden. Now I like the Winter Garden, but that was brand new and it wasn't a case of changing something that already existed.

guys what about the good old hoffenbreau and then off to genevive or crazy daisy. potatoe puffs were the best.dundee biscuits at school yeah. whip and tops. 1 skate with a piece of board on going down hills. playing hockey at school. throwing javelin at school. All these things have gone why? know wonder it is now becoming a full generation of obese kids. Yes we used to have all the goodies in school but we also worked them off with proper exercise not the wimps now who just get mumsie to write an excuse letter not to do P.E we also used our brains not calculators. They now all leave school with degrees up to the arm pits and are still all thick without a calculator or P.C!!!!!!!!!!

guys what about the good old hoffenbreau and then off to genevive or crazy daisy. potatoe puffs were the best.dundee biscuits at school yeah. whip and tops. 1 skate with a piece of board on going down hills. playing hockey at school. throwing javelin at school. All these things have gone why? know wonder it is now becoming a full generation of obese kids. Yes we used to have all the goodies in school but we also worked them off with proper exercise not the wimps now who just get mumsie to write an excuse letter not to do P.E we also used our brains not calculators. They now all leave school with degrees up to the arm pits and are still all thick without a calculator or P.C!!!!!!!!!!

I think you'll find skateboarding is still very popular.

What's this about no javelin or hockey at schools?

Hedgehog is being a little unfair on the current generation. my 16 year old nephew told me on Christmas Day without having to look it up, which monarch followed William 1st and which was on the throne at the time of Waterloo. How many of the older generation could tell you that??!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived