What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Redgates, Wards, Registry Office.

The wonderful glasshouse in Weston Park, commemerating the Festival of Britain but allowed to fall down thanks to the neglect of our wonderful City Council

I think the Eucolyptus tree that grew through the roof was the main culprit but they should have saved it.

On the subject of Weston Park, I miss the bees in the museum.

Originally posted by Carmine

Anyone else remember the time that they had the excavator made entirely of matchsticks?

In the art gallery bit ?

I think it was made from cardboard sewn together wasn't it ?

Originally posted by jonsastar

I miss the diving pool in Sheaf valley baths.

I havent had a dive for ages, and apparently they dont let you use the ones in Ponds forge.

Yeah i think you have to join a diving club to use it. It's the same everywhere there's diving boards now for safety reasons. I loved it in the old days whe you could dive to you hearts content regardless of anyone that may be swimming below you.

Originally posted by nick2

I think the Eucolyptus tree that grew through the roof was the main culprit but they should have saved it.

On the subject of Weston Park, I miss the bees in the museum.

Yes, Nick the bees, definately.

As to the tree, it should have been cut down before it burst through the roof. It's not like the Giant Beanstalk growing 100 foot overnight and catching the dopey bu**ers by surprise!

Originally posted by Tim42

All those wonderfull buildings that was demolished in the name of ''progress''. So, so many. WHY! Just because they were old? NO! They just looked so beautiful.

By the way! Ikea are bringing out flat pack houses, no kidding. No doubt this council will be a major customer. They should have allowed Ikea to have set up in sheffield. They could have saved a fortune of councils, oh! sorry! our money in transportation fees from there warehouse

The council bought plat pack houses years ago, and had them erected by Vic Hallam & Co. and they're still in use. :(

Archived