What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

Right, here we go:

Ward's bitter

The Buccaneer

Wednesday's old kop

Millhouses lido

Goodwin fountain (specially when some wag had emptied fairy liquid in there)

Proper pubs in the city centre (selling proper beer at proper prices)

Royal Infirmary casualty dept

Blanchards

Banners

Local cinemas

Wigfalls

Public toilets

Rag Day (mainly the boat race)

Open air concerts in Weston park on a sunny Sunday afternoon

Top bands coming to the City Hall

That Chinese bloke who used to stand at the bottom of the step at Zing Vaa with the Yorkshire accent......

and loads more, but I'm busy.

A man after my own heart, but you missed hot pork pies from Wenningers on London Rd....drooooooool :P

Originally posted by owdlad

The council bought plat pack houses years ago, and had them erected by Vic Hallam & Co. and they're still in use. :(

I live in one - they do seem to be made of MDF, especially when it's really windy.

I miss the Goodwin Fountain and the fish tank in the hole in the road although I can only just remember them.

And I think the stuffed lion in the museum is about the only thing I can remember in there from my childhood - I went a couple of years ago and there was loads more which I never remembered.

I don't think there's much that's changed that I miss - I'm 19 and although there's been changes in Sheffield (as always...), there's been nothing really significant that I can remember properly and say I miss.

I love watching old films and seeing old pictures of the city though, and it's such a shame that so many nice buildings have disappeared or have had new fronts put on (I recently saw a picture of the building behind the glass windows of Kingdom Nightclub and it's a shame they've spoilt it in that tacky way).

Tehre was bit on a film that I saw recently where the council had unvailed their plans for a new renovated city centre in Graves Art Gallery in the 70s I think it was, with loads of flyovers from the Parkway - It was such a mess and thank god most of it didn't come about!

Originally posted by gemma86

(I recently saw a picture of the building behind the glass windows of Kingdom Nightclub and it's a shame they've spoilt it in that tacky way).

Gemma do you mean the lovely old Gaumont Cinema?

I'm sorry but that wonderful picture palace was completely demolished before they put up the building which is now kingdom. :gag:

Originally posted by muddycoffee

Gemma do you mean the lovely old Gaumont Cinema?

I'm sorry but that wonderful picture palace was completely demolished before they put up the building which is now kingdom. :gag:

I've no idea. I just saw a picture of a building much nicer looking that what is there now, and presumed they'd have just put the facia on as it looked the same sort of height and in the exact same place.

Thinking about it, I think it did say it was a cinema.

I miss Redgate's Toy shop in Furnival Gate, yeah I know I'm too old for toys but meh, wandering round that shop OWNED!

I also miss:

Decent bus services between Town, Hillsborough and Stannington.

Clean, OPEN public toilets

GAME on the corner of Pinstone Street

The ABC Cinema on Snig Hill/Corner of Angel Street

Originally posted by Andy78

Yeah i think you have to join a diving club to use it. It's the same everywhere there's diving boards now for safety reasons. I loved it in the old days whe you could dive to you hearts content regardless of anyone that may be swimming below you.

There's a diving pool with 3 boards at the Metrodome in Barnsley. You don't have to be a member of a club to use it.:)

Archived