Element Re-opening??

A_Partridge

Drinking at the time were we mate...so its we reckon its open or open v soon...actually I may have seen a sine suggesting they were playing upstairs with scuba... to be honest my memory is so batterd that i may have been there on Saturday. Not a scooby

Aren't the phon-etics lot doing Friday nights at Sharkeys?

Never been so I can't comment, but I've not heard particularly good things about the venue and it only has a license till 12 which is poor... So maybe this is it for my old favourite saturday night?

Still, they did that plantlife gig at the ice rink before christmas I think so perhaps they're busy somewhere, cooking up a little treat and there'll be some fun soon. Hope so.

In the meantime, there's always scuba. hmm.

i got handed a phonetics flyer today,seems there putting some big event on at the Forum on the 22nd of Feb

they've got that wicked british soul legend Omar doing a live thing with his band ( he's the one who sang 'drr d d d d d d d drr theres nothing like this' and he's worked with common n angie stone n all them soul cats )

He's got a new album coming out inabit,i've heard abit of it on

Gilles Peterson's show on radio1 and its sounding frresh!!!

I went to the Plantlife gig and had a wicked night.

The band were tight and funky,and the atmosphere was ace. They have to be one of the best acts i've heard or seen ( that dj Rashida's a bit loverly and was cutting up them tunes like a good un )

We had a proper good night.

Only just seen this so thought i'd provide some information....

We miss Phonetics too.

Phonetics is not back in a weekly fingaling yet. But we've been doing one off specials. The posters you saw were either for Plantlife gig (if yer missed it, yer missed) and the upcoming Omar gig. Omar is the nu-soul chief who kickstarted things back in 91 and inspired Jill Scott, Erykah Badu and D'Angelo to name a few. we're doing that in the forum. bringing in a proper soundsystem and doin the place up nicely... in support the phonetics djs and VACEO and upcomin british soul artist produced by Phuturystix whose stuff is proper good.

Common Ground - the friday at Sharkeys was never intended to be a replacement to Phonetics. It was just a coincidence that we started it at the same time as Element closed !! We wanted to do a bar thing to hear the tunes we like. Sharkeys is a bar, not a club. The upstairs is I think a really nice little place, the management and staff are friendly and sound, drinks are good value and nearly all week the music they are playing is good. As for atmosphere, you weren't upstairs on NYE ? People make atmosphere. Don't see it as an "instead of Phonetics" night - it's a supplement !!

Glad you liked the live stuff cos that is more the kind of thing we want to do. We've had nearly all of the djs we wanted to book and to be honest local djs are better. If it's the live hip hop thing yer missing keep yer eyes peeled for Urban Smackdown....comin soon.

Get yerself on our mailing list phoneticsatponana@hotmail.com and we'll keep you up to date with what is happening re; phonetics.

Archived