The Adelphi nightclub

CarlSheff

It was a good venue - an old cinema I think - so had a nice high ceiling - and was done out ok inside. Main problem was its location - which was too far out of town for most people - so most nights struggled there (though I think Uprising were there for years) & if they ever got the chance of a city centre location - they tended to move very quickly.

The Adelphi's most famous past resident were Gatecrasher who resided there between the Arches & global domination at the Republic

Just wondering if it likely to open in the near future seems a shame to just be stood there.

Also what was it like in the past, what music did it play & was it any good?

I was past there yesterday and took a look at the building.

It's up for auction at the moment. Hopefully something will be made of it as has a great frontage and is listed.

Just wondering if it likely to open in the near future seems a shame to just be stood there.

Also what was it like in the past, what music did it play & was it any good?

Inside was stunning, and it has superb potential. The only problem with it was the some of the people who used to run it and do the security were seriously out of their depth. I've been on an allnighter there when they have ran out of tap and bottled larger by one a.m. I have also seen some of the most ridiculous security in there, it included door men being very in the face and hassling all the normal party goers but ignoring some very unsavory characters. This included forcibly stopping people from sitting anywhere apart from on the seats, snatching peoples cigarettes out of their hands to smell what they were smoking with no apology afterwards.

It needs some money spending on it. The years of bass and loud music has taken its toll on the rear of the building and will need some major work doing to it structurally. Who ever gets it has a fair bit of work to do but yes its a nice old building...

Oh I know the adelphi very well indeed.... ;)

Archived