Building contractor collusion investigation. Corruption or systemic failure?

Sadly, according to the news, individuals are not going to be prosecuted , yet on the other hand we have campaign after campaign against benefit fraud, with 'NO Ifs No Buts', which sees pensioners being jailed for having too much savings. The scale of this fraud, and yes it is fraud, is huge, just because it is white collar crime, doesn't mean that they should get away with it , otherwise it makes a mockery of our criminal justice system,

one law for us, one law for them, as always .

HMG or HMRC need to throw some high profile culprits into jail, and not just fine companies.

one law for us, one law for them, as always .

It's like the situation recently where BT illegally intercepted tens of thousands of customer's internet traffic while testing a new advertising system (one that tracks everything you do on the internet to target you with advertising).

Despite it being clearly illegal the government is sitting on its hands and passing the buck around various departments who say "It's not our problem."

Yet if an ordinary member of the public had done the same, they'd be prosecuted.

The whole problem seems to be tied into the fact that unseated politicians and out-of-office govt. ministers depend on big business for cushy directorships once they've been kicked off the ploitical gravy-train. Rocking the boat whilst they are in a position to do so can have a serious effect on their future earnings.

Imposing fines for malpractise won't solve the problem - the fines just get written into the company accounts as a business expense and neither directors nor shareholders suffer any significant financial loss.

It was refreshing to see that the Severn Trent Water Company are to face criminal charges for deliberately deceiving Ofwat - we really need a lot more directors up in the dock for defrauding the public.

The whole problem seems to be tied into the fact that unseated politicians and out-of-office govt. ministers depend on big business for cushy directorships once they've been kicked off the ploitical gravy-train. Rocking the boat whilst they are in a position to do so can have a serious effect on their future earnings.

Imposing fines for malpractise won't solve the problem - the fines just get written into the company accounts as a business expense and neither directors nor shareholders suffer any significant financial loss.

It was refreshing to see that the Severn Trent Water Company are to face criminal charges for deliberately deceiving Ofwat - we really need a lot more directors up in the dock for defrauding the public.

Yes all very true.

Here in the states they solve these problems to a large extent by appointing commissioners who are usually people at the end of their careers so don't depend on grace and favors from anyone, other than downright greed it duz help.

Personally I'd get rid of the system of government that they have locally in the UK, I'd make it mayoral as in the states but also have regional government for statutory services.

The reason why regional government works better is that because people come from different towns there is no single block of members who hold absolute control.

So I'd have regions that deliberately split up alliances, for instance South Yorks and North East Derbyshire as one entity, and have it run by a senate of councilors on proportional representation.

This quote from Balfour Beatty is priceless

"Balfour Beatty neither promotes nor condones anti-competitive behaviour," it said.
Given that anti-competitive behaviour in this context is illegal, You'd think they would condone it!

This quote from Balfour Beatty is pricelessGiven that anti-competitive behaviour in this context is illegal, You'd think they would condone it!

Are you confusing "condone" with "condemn"? To condone something means to consider it acceptable.

Yes all very true.

Here in the states they solve these problems to a large extent by appointing commissioners who are usually people at the end of their careers so don't depend on grace and favors from anyone, other than downright greed it duz help.

Personally I'd get rid of the system of government that they have locally in the UK, I'd make it mayoral as in the states but also have regional government for statutory services.

The reason why regional government works better is that because people come from different towns there is no single block of members who hold absolute control.

So I'd have regions that deliberately split up alliances, for instance South Yorks and North East Derbyshire as one entity, and have it run by a senate of councilors on proportional representation.

What a wonderful idea. Love to be around for the fireworks display Looks like we're spoiled for choice

Actually, yes, thats a mistake I've been making for years :|

Well I try not to jump down people's throats for little mistakes like confusing two similar words, but in this case it left your post saying the exact opposite of what you intended. Not a lot of choice, really :D

Archived