Greek restaurants update

sussxowl74

I like Parthenonas too, particularly the service, although I find the tinted windows a little off-putting.

We've just tried Hestia up in Crookes. Again, the service was really friendly and attentive although it was very quiet (that's Fright Night for you). The portions were generous and some of the food was really outstanding. The tzatziki was probably the best I've had in the UK - really thick and yogurty, but not too salty. Lovely lamb kebab and my partner enjoyed his moussaka, a special. Lots of veg / roast potatoes / salad on the side. It's bring your own / no corkage so the price was very competitive. I'm a little wary of heartily recommending a new place as sometimes quality / service slips as custom picks up, but we're certainly going back and we really hope they continue to do as good a job as they did tonight.

Greedy Greek on Sharrow Vale - we've picked up some great stuff there, but delivery - it always seems to arrive late, lukewarm and swimming in oil.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to this thread, I found out about Hestia. Despite driving past many times, I hadn't even noticed that it was no longer Jeera!

We had a family meal at Hestia early on Saturday evening. It was quiet at 6.30, so there was no problem getting a table for five. The staff were very welcoming and offered to open our wine (no corkage) as soon as we were seated. The room is bright and decorated with pictures of jazz greats, with tables a comfortable distance apart.

The menu is short but there were several specials on blackboards. We started with scallops and squid (both perfectly cooked), lovely thick tzatziki and a complimentary selection of olives and dips. Strangely, the bread wasn't sliced pittas but slices from small wholemeal loaves. The beef stifado main was simple but superb, reminding my wife of a meal in Athens, with meltingly soft chunks of beef in a rich tomato sauce. Lamb kebabs were well-marinated and tender but the beef lasagne from the specials' board disappeared before I could taste it! Well-flavoured mediterranean potatoes and an aubergine and courgette vegetable dish came with the mains and made a very satisfying meal.

Desserts were not at the same level and seem to have been bought in. However, two chocolate fudge cakes went down quickly. The cheese plate was a bit dull - cheddar and brie - when we had hoped for some nice feta or a goat's cheese. We lingered over coffees and chatted to the chef, who arrived in Crookes after many years in Greece. The bill came to just under £20 each, for three courses.

The whole experience was like visiting a small taverna on a greek island (forgetting about the weather of course) - simple, honest food at a reasonable price with friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. I hope they go on to make a more varied selection of starters and small meals (melitzanosalata, spanakopita, etc). Meze or 'tapas' style meals would be an excellent lunchtime or early evening treat and a nice way of lingering over a bottle of wine later on.

hi have found a few old threads but

anyone been to any of the greek restaurants what are go what are bad, am looking for a place for wife birthday will be bout 20 of us. ill be coming back home for few day.

Aww you old romantic you! You've been away from home for a while, but now it's the wife's birthday, so you've got this little treat planned for her,

just you and her, and 20 others around the table.

Will you be taking her to Hillsboro as well before or afterwards, just to round off the intimate occasion?:)

Archived