Mediums, spiritualists and clairvoyants forced to clean up their act.

From next month mediums, spiritualists, clairvoyants and other such sundry cheats will have to follow the law.

I personally hope that this is the start of the road to preventing these charletans / deluded individuals from heaping misery on ordinary folk.

From the BBC

Mediums and spiritualists fear changes to laws regulating the industry could leave them open to malicious civil action by sceptics.

The union representing spiritual workers is to lobby the government over changes to the industry's regulation.

The Fraudulent Mediums Act is due to be repealed next month and replaced by new EU consumer protection regulations.

The British Humanist Association said the change offered vulnerable people greater protection against fraud.

Under the 1951 Fraudulent Mediums Act, prosecutors have to prove the medium or healer had intended to be fraudulent in order to secure a conviction.

But under the EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, which comes into force in the UK on 26 May, it will be the medium's responsibility to prove they did not mislead or coerce vulnerable consumers.

I look forward the the first prosecutions. Here's a provoking column from The Times on the subject.

Will programmes like 'Most Haunted' be targetted next I wonder, after all viewers are 'consumers'

I don't know. I like to watch Most Haunted, but I'm more interested in the history of the places they visit than the psychic crap. It's still informative.

Archived