Mediums, spiritualists and clairvoyants forced to clean up their act.

Here's a website I've visited a few times, just innocently passing the time away until my SF bans ended. :)

If you ever get an SF ban, just check out the latest news on many well-known Psychics by clicking on their names in the lefthand column of the linked homepage.

Link

Here's an interesting Goverment response to a petition asking for the law to be introduced.

Petition to the No 10 website:

19 October 2007

We received a petition asking:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Revise the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951."

Details of petition:

"The Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 has rarely been used in the prosecution of mediums and psychics, who claim to contact the dead relatives of people. Yet there are increasingly more TV shows and live acts where people claiming to be mediums and psychics prey on vulnerable people who have lost loved ones, giving them spurious information and taking their money. We call upon the Government to revise the Fraudulent Mediums Act and make it easier to prosecute these people."

The Goverment response:

The Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 will be repealed from April 2008 by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2007 (CPRs) which implement the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (UCPD).

The CPRs include rules prohibiting conduct which misleads the average consumer and thereby causes, or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

Although the average consumer would arguably not be misled by a person who claims he is able to contact the dead, such conduct would still be unfair under the CPRs if it deceives the average member of (i) the group to which it is directed, or (ii) a clearly identifiable group of consumers who are particularly vulnerable to this type of practice.

Unlike the Act, there is no requirement in the CPRs to prove an "intent to deceive". This means that where practices are aimed at vulnerable consumers or average members of particular groups, it should be easier to take action against fraudulent mediums than under the Act.

The CPRs will be enforced by both civil (injunctive) action and criminal sanctions.

Further information on the UCPD and the CPRs is available on BERR's website

My bold.

Here's an interesting Goverment response to a petition asking for the law to be introduced.

Petition to the No 10 website:

The Goverment response:

My bold.

interesting that you raise the issue of Government petitions because from my discussions with various people at a symposium I attended recently on eParticipation, gave me the distinct impression that there was considerable dissatisfaction with the Government's responses to petitions brought through their website. In a straw poll people were also asked whether they'd use the Government's ePetition website or facebook to launch a campaign. The response was unanimous - facebook.

Here's an example of somebody who should have their ass sued off.

Sally Anne’s mum begs police to listen to medium

The mother of murdered teenager Sally Anne Bowman has pleaded with police hunting her killer to take claims from a spiritualist seriously.

Ben Murphy claimed the 18-year-old model has appeared to him several times during group sessions at the Spiritualist church in St Albans.

Miss Bowman was killed and sexually assaulted just yards from her home in Blenheim Crescent, South Croydon, in September last year.

The spiritualist, a 35-year-old plasterer from Watford, believes he was given vital clues about the murderer and is frustrated that police will not take him seriously.

Anyone who is interested can read the rest of the very descriptive article but suffice to says that Sally Anne's mum was so desperate for answers that she went to a medium. What this 'famous medium' said might as well been from Midsomer Murders for all the accuracy it contained.

A shocking way to benefit from peoples grief. :shakes:

This law is long overdue.

I had at first thought that it would be good for every customer to be able to claim their money back in full; they have all been conned after-all, but on reflection I consider that they deserve to lose their money because of their stupidity. I would prefer the government to take it all in fines and use the money for something good like the NHS!

If mediums, spiritualists and clairvoyants are extremely specific, and those who choose to take advice from them can prove cohersion (which is a difficult one if they sought to consult them in the first place)...I'd say it's a good law. Otherwise, I'd say 'buyer beware'.

I'd imagine there will be long and complex court cases ahead.

Archived