Whitehouse chipshop andover st

nearenuff

Originally posted by nearenuff

working on this old property anyone help with a date it was built,any history would be usefull understand it has been a chippy for the past hundred years

if it's the one i'm thinking of, it's a tudor building ... it's mentioned in one of the sheffield books written by J Edward Vickers ...

well I can only go back to the early / mid sixties and I can confirm that it has always been a chip shop since then.

It was bought by Bernard greeves who owned the other one at the top of Andover Street in the late 70s.

His wife Kath who run it along side of him died some years ago and he was left to run it alone.

I guess Bernard has certainly retired now but he made a fortune from the two chippys.

In the 60s most people went on there summer holidays to some English resort in works weeks, not Bernard and his family though.

They went to Tunisia, Morocco and other " exotic " places which was almost unheard of then.

Sorry to harp on about the owner, this threads about the building but thought I would add a little twist to the story.

EDIT: I do recall that it was mentioned that it was originally a Blacksmiths but not sure about its authenticity.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

well I can only go back to the early / mid sixties and I can confirm that it has always been a chip shop since then.

It was bought by Bernard greeves who owned the other one at the top of Andover Street in the late 70s.

His wife Kath who run it along side of him died some years ago and he was left to run it alone.

I guess Bernard has certainly retired now but he made a fortune from the two chippys.

In the 60s most people went on there summer holidays to some English resort in works weeks, not Bernard and his family though.

They went to Tunisia, Morocco and other " exotic " places which was almost unheard of then.

Sorry to harp on about the owner, this threads about the building but thought I would add a little twist to the story.

EDIT: I do recall that it was mentioned that it was originally a Blacksmiths but not sure about its authenticity.

Cycleracer

Speaking of making a fortune from the chip shop, before Bernard and Cath owned it it was owned by Pete Nightingale he used to drive about in a Daimler limousine

Siren

thanks for the info ,will never be a chippy again going to be a one bedroom dwelling,up for rent soon.keep the info coming cheers

Wow, it will go for a fortune, it may be in a grotty area and no room to swing a cat but its worth a mint for the building alone.

thanks for the info ,will never be a chippy again going to be a one bedroom dwelling,up for rent soon.keep the info coming cheers

Well some ones in for a real treat Bernard was always telling me about the ghost he kept seeing there i think ill give that place a miss.

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

I remember going into the white House for chips going back to my early teens. Wasn't Kath quite small and attractive with dark hair. They don't make chips like that any more.......or do they.

Kath was small and I suppose attractive in a funny way, she had a fiery temper too but rarely showed it in public.

They had two sons, Anthony and Nicholas I think who will be touching 40 now.

Archived