Lost in translation: Pub Crawl, Bar Crawl or something else?

twobob

What do you call the act of visiting and drinking at a number of pubs?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the act of visiting and drinking at a number of pubs?

• Pub Crawl
    • Bar Crawl
    • Bar Hopping
    • Something else

Out of interest, in your country what do you call the act of visiting and drinking alcohol at a number of pubs in a single night with a group of friends?

Do you call it a Pub Crawl, Bar Crawl, Bar Hopping or something else?

And what term do you use to describe the traditional "last night out with the boys before the groom gets married"?

Do you call it a Stag Party, Bachelor Party, Buck's Party or something else? What do the girls call their equivalent night out?

It seems people from different countries use different terms. I wonder why?

Cheers and beers .... TwoBob

Hi TwoBob,

Blokes have a stag night, Lasses have a Hen Night. The lasses ones often involve them in fancy dress or the bride in a wedding dress or wedding style head dress, and the rougher ones you see around town often have vulgar things pinned to their back it is quite depraved sometimes, especially when they are totally legless, and I am particularly ashamed when I see English women doing this abroad, like Amsterdam, Prague or Dublin, which are 3 very common venues.

Stag nights tend to have a plan, which is organised by the best man, Often all the blokes have tshirts printed specially, and they tend to do things like a pint straight down by everyone in a line, or tequila slammers in every 3rd bar in unison. Sometimes they all dress as Elvis presley or Robin hood, or just all have stick on mustaches. And tradition dictates that the groom gets tied up naked to a lamp post and left all night or put on a train to glasgow, paralytic, with no money to get back. The origins of stag night is that the groom sows his wild oats for the last time, some end in massage parlour if they can't get of with a woman in the rest of the night, although most are far too drunk to be bothered with anything like that.

I have myself been on about 14 stag nights and can report that most of them are terrible, because the groom is usually terrified of being to drunk to prevent anything bad happening to him, and you don't get to do half of what is on the list.

I think it depends on the type of establishments you are visiting:

Pub crawl if it is the more traditional pubs with proper beer, Bar Crawl if it is the towny music bars or trendy bars, or a 'walkabout' if it is a more dignified affair visiting a few pubs in an area, with a slow relaxed pint in each.

Archived