Beer CO2 gas bottles for pubs

they have a expiry date on them

cannot be returned and refilled after that date

Never heard that before. A reputable filler won't fill them because they have to be re-tested after that date but since most cylinders belong to the gas company and not the user, they take them in and give you another one.

Never heard that before. A reputable filler won't fill them because they have to be re-tested after that date but since most cylinders belong to the gas company and not the user, they take them in and give you another one.

we are told not to fetch them in when dates passed as the brewery wont take them back

All gas cylinders are tested (usually by ultrasonic analysis to determine wall thickness) and then given a test stamp date. Beyond that date they will be shot blasted, cleaned, tested again, and if they pass they will be re-painted and a new test stamp issued. Most gas companies will charge a monthly cylinder rental fee, and a refill fee each time you exchange the empty for a full.

• 4 years later...
they have a expiry date on them

cannot be returned and refilled after that date

I understand that the date on gas bottles (irrespective of the type of gas that is in them) is a safety check-date as the contents in these bottles are under pressure of course.

Usually what happens is that another full bottle is provided to you. Your old bottle is taken in, and inspected according to the date on the plate/tag. They are inspected in respect of the pressure they contain & the safety aspect. Once inspected and found to be ok, they are refilled & put back in to the system.

If you are not yet sorted from all the suggestions on here, I understand that some of the fire extinguisher places are able to refill your bottle. Also, the pub type CO2 bottles that you refer to are also used by some people with mig welders (as an inert shielding gas).

I suppose it depends on where you buy your gas bottle. - I have a new (6 months old) 10lb CO2 cylinder, which doesn't have any form of date stamp on it.

For the beer side, I have some of these

I haven't seen them advertised in the UK, but as the advert says, they are 'Pepsi style' kegs.

(Are they the type used by the suppliers of soft drink concentrates to pubs? - If so, are they obtainable in the UK?)

(Are they the type used by the suppliers of soft drink concentrates to pubs? - If so, are they obtainable in the UK?)

Most soft drinks are delivered as "bag-in-box" - the syrup inside is then mixed with water and co2 at the premises, so no pressurised container is needed.

Archived