Sylvesters Bar, Leopold Square, Now open.

If you enjoyed Sylvester’s then thank you and come again, if you didn't then I'm sorry, but we will get it right in future.

The problem and beauty of being an independent is that you are not working to a tried and tested template.

You have two people with a vision and a lot of hoops to jump through to get to it, The biggest being the amount of loot that goes into the fit out and start up and the extra loot that no one thought about, I mean who ever heard of stamp duty on a lease.

So the reason we had no piano in the first week, was simple, we needed the weekend’s takings to pay for it. Then the cellar cooling system wasn't adequate, I bet Greene King don't have these problems.

Anyway we are nearly there, blinds for the rear window are ordered. We are going to fit new shelves in the kitchen, the originals fell down (my dad fitted them), you could here the crash on Fargate....

We've got a pianist most lunchtime and early evenings, if anyone fancies a tinkle they are welcome to come along, there's no budget to pay you I'm afraid but we can manage a pint now and again, but you will get the exposure, apparently Simon Cowell was at the Leopold hotel during X factor so you never know. Other than that I suppose you could try passing the hat round.

One other thing about starting something like Sylvester’s was that you ask favours from people. With us it was Everyone in the square, but particularly Malcolm and Craig at Platillos which became our site office, Interview room and training centre. Sorry I'm sounding like an Oscar winner.

Please post your comments, good or bad, but remember we can't be all things to all men.

Remember Friday and Saturday nights may vary a bit from our vision, but something has to pay for the luxury of the laidback style in the week

That's all for now folks.

Rachel

Sorry I'm back on the Oscars presentation

I forgot to thank Sam (remember him from Lava lounge) and the rest of the staff for pulling together and helping us get this far.

Been there this evening.

It was OK. No proper beer (nor guinness) but that was not unexpected and the Leffe was a substitute. We had to move as we were too close to Waga apparently but the staff seemed nice and, on a summers`s eve, there`s plenty of worse places.

Please post your comments, good or bad, but remember we can't be all things to all men.

Remember Friday and Saturday nights may vary a bit from our vision, but something has to pay for the luxury of the laidback style in the week

I'm sorry but you either have faith in your 'vision' or you don't? What you are basically saying is it will be a cool cross section hang out jazz and blues bar all week Sun to Wed, (when town is dead). Then come Friday and Saturday anyone that has supported you all week will have to make way for the commercial rubbish that can be found anywhere else on West st just so you can fill it and knock out bottles of beer for £3 to groups of guys that may come in off West St and otherwise not like it.

Can it not be laid back at the weekends and pay the bills? Or are you saying that those people during the week wont be going out on weekends? You say you created Sylvesters as you and your husband I think wanted to create somewhere for more discerning customers that dont generally enjoy certain other Sheffield venues.

Yes Jemson I had the same problem with Wagaplonka, It didn't spoil my night It just gave us something to talk about.

A bit exacting Jamesgot, but I see your point. Personally I'm firmly in the lets see how it pans out group. Keep on their backs to keep standards high.

If the people I saw on saturday night were the West St. crowd then I'd be more than happy to have them in any bar of mine. A very cosmopolitan crowd throughout the square. I heard lots of comments ( Its like being abroad ) So I think they all need a good summer to get established. Roll on Poppillos whatever it is.

Ive just read all the other posts, I've got it now, Vernon is married to Rachel, who is in turn married to Sylvester. I thought my life was complicated. Bye

Thanks Guv

By the way Jamesogt my OH says she was chatting to her friend sat near the DJ and wasn't having to shout, so maybe the vision prevails at the weekend.

You get what it says on the can.

Thanks Guv

By the way Jamesogt my OH says she was chatting to her friend sat near the DJ and wasn't having to shout, so maybe the vision prevails at the weekend.

You get what it says on the can.

The vision was a laid back jazz blues piano bar, not a dj according to the press release, no matter what volume level he is playing at.

Maybe the expression "piano bar" is not to be taken literally and is actually inspired by Paul McCartney & Micheal Jackson's 1981 hit "Ebony & Ivory" in which they sing

"Ebony and ivory

live together in perfect harmony

side by side on my piano keyboard

oh lord, why can't we?"

Thus it's not a place for jazz piano soloists but is actually an attempt at racial integration?