Diabetes: Just how dangerous is it?

They were having a bit of a party at the time, and Im wondering if maybe he had a little too much to drink and that might have triggered an attack off...?

Id love to go and ask them how hes doing, but I have all the tact of a knee in the groin.

Managed properly, it shouldn't cause too many problems on a day to day basis. I'm Insulin dependant and get by without too much fuss - most of the time.

Hyper's and Hypo's can be managed effectively once you've recognised the difference between which one's which.

Left unmonitored and poorly managed though, diabetes can cause many problems - and ultimately death.

There are a number of associated conditions associated with Diabetes: Increased risk of strokes, Diabetic retinopathy (blindess) neuropathy (potential limb loss) and increased risk of heart attack. That's just off the top of my head.

What I will say is that if someone doesn't actively take control of the condition, then what do they expect?

Someone I know is always getting carted off in an ambulance due to his diabetes, but he eats like a pig and drinks like a fish. Why he does this, given his condition, is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Is he overweight Stagey? My neighbour is VERY, almost painfully thin.

So then, its possible to lead a "Normal" for want of a better word, active life if you manage it properly? I mean live to a ripe old age and die in bed peacefully? Or do all diabetics die of things that are ..... you know... brought on by diabetes?

Is he overweight Stagey? My neighbour is VERY, almost painfully thin.

So then, its possible to lead a "Normal" for want of a better word, active life if you manage it properly? I mean live to a ripe old age and die in bed peacefully? Or do all diabetics die of things that are ..... you know... brought on by diabetes?

He's a bit overweight, but not massively. It's an assumption that all diabetics are overweight. The condition is more common in people that are overweight, but it's not exclusive.

I was injecting myself yesterday while I was on the phone to my Dad. Two minutes later I was outside pressure washing the patio.

I don't let it rule my life. When I first diagnosed I was scared. Very scared. But a few months on I'm relatively ok with it. It's all about taking control I guess and learning the facts.

As to whether it's possible to live to a ripe old age, umm, I'm not sure. My Mum died prematurely of a stroke and was also diabetic - and in the last few weeks, I've discovered I have blood clots behind my eyes and I've had a minor stroke. So, probably not a good time to ask...:(

What I won't do though is become a victim. I'm trying my best to get on with life as best I can. We never know how long we're here for ey?

People can have Diabetes for up to five years without realising it.

If you're in any doubt, make an appointment with your G.P.

The blood tests are quite simple.

I have to see her in a month so I'll ask about it did have a test a few years ago and was clear. Thanks:)

I recently had a 12 day stay in hospital due to my type 2 diabetes I had something as simple as an infected spot on my back. The infection caused my blood sugars to rise to a rather high level, I needed fluids and was also put on insulin which I now will have to take for the rest of my life. What has now made me rather angry is the fact that someone in the government has in there wisdom said people with type 2 diabetes shouldn't need to check their sugar levels .It seems obvious to me that this person doesn't understand this condition and should therefore learn more before they make this type of comment.

Archived