Our potted histories.

One side of my family can, if you have the time and inclination, be traced back to Déaghaidh, who in the year 934 A.D., rescued Ceallachán (the King of Munster) from a Viking ship.

The rest of my family are pretty ordinary, apart from my grandfather who smuggled moonshine into the US during the prohibition :D

Me born in germany so were my brothers. The only one of us to be born in england was my sister born in york.

My dad from sheffield and as far as I know most of his family were born here. Although there was a story of our family being adopted by a scottish clan.

My mums side all from krefeld in germany. My auntie did mention that our family had desended from poland but my mum isnt convinced.

My family, on my father's side, were immigrants from Scandinavia into France where the enfeebled French gave them land which they scorned preferring the benefits system in England. We've now been here for 942 years.

Similarly on my mother's side, we were economic migrants from Ireland who ended up in Scotland yet again passing through for the much vaunted benefits system in England. Only 165 years this time.

A few years ago when the son my father had when he was 15 and was adopted found our dad, Dad tried to do a bit of a family tree to fill in my brother. Dad did not get very far because it was discovered that my grandfather was born a good 11 months after my great grandfather died – making him not our great grandfather.

His mother’s side is a bit clearer. Despite actually being born in Aden and living in Singapore before WW2 because her family were a military family an Uncle has traced the family in Britain back to the 1600’s.

On my mother’s side her mothers family are from Barnsley but my great grand father on my mother’s father’s side was a Romanian Jew. He was quite old when he arrived and married off to my mother’s grandmother quite swiftly. As far as we can tell this lady was an older Manchester Jew.

A bit of a mixed bunch.

I really like anything of this nature, it's turning out to be a good thread.

Thanks for starting it :)

Duff :thumbsup:

Its certainly turning out more interesting than I thought it would. I just realised what a bloody boring history my family had too.

On my mother’s side her mothers family are from Barnsley but my great grand father on my mother’s father’s side was a Romanian Jew. He was quite old when he arrived and married off to my mother’s grandmother quite swiftly. As far as we can tell this lady was an older Manchester Jew.

A bit of a mixed bunch.

Someone I know (not a forum member) has a similar history. Like mine, their great great grandparents were Russian Jewish settlers that travelled across Europe, with various connections now scattered across the continent. I think they have close connections to Poland. They finally settled in Barnsley and worked in the mines, they can trace their family back along the Jewish name, Levi. Facsinating stuff :)

There are some good histories here, any more?

I've traced my family name back to the 1600s, when my ancestors lived near Dewsbury. it was my 4x great grandfather who moved to Sheffield.

I'm having a little more difficulty with my maternal grandmother's family...

The name "Jones" from Aberdovey....!!!!!!

Archived