Our potted histories.

Maternal grandparents - born Georgetown, Guyana (South America)

Paternal grandparents - born in Chorley & Bolton (Lancs)

Mother - born in Georgetown, Guyana

Father - born in Cheltenham

Me - born in Sheffield

My kids - born in London

Mr S - born in Erith, Kent. Grew up in South Africa.:gag:

LANCS?!?!?

Bloody hell... you were doing so well then too :D

I always reminded my grandmother that she was born on the wrong side of the Pennines. It became a long standing joke.

When I lived in Leicester I used to work with a bloke from Lancs and no one knew what the hell we were always sniping at each other about.

We used to have a laugh and the looks on the midlanders faces as they tried to work it all out was amusing.

Me - sheffield

mom dad -sheffield

maternal grandmother - liverpool

maternal grandfather - Sheffield back to 1861 cant trace before then

paternal grandparents - No flipping idea!

Ther is alot of scandal in my maternal grandfathers side, my aunt worked out that all three of my gg grans children were out of wedlock and at least one to a different father, that was bad news in those days!

Yeah theres a scandal in my family too. Aparrantly, at the end of the 19th century, the Duke of Devonshire made a chambermaid from Stoke on trent pregnant and set her up in a little cottage in the grounds of Chatsworth.

They lived there untl the boy was 18 and he set off for Sheffield with nothing but a nasty attitude and a silly grin and before long he had set up quite a good little business there.

That was the first Jabberwocky.

Paternal grandparents - Kinross, Scotland (way back to 1700s) & Dun Laoghaire, Southern Ireland

Maternal grandparents - Aberdeen and the Highlands somewhere!

Father - Port Glasgow

Mother - Dundee

Me - Dundee

Mr McB - London

Children - daughter Dundee, son Doncaster

Granddaughter - Cheshire

I traced all my family back to around 1800. They all come from around the areas around a line between Burton-on-Trent and Stoke.

That is, except for my Great Great Grandfather who was from Northampton. He went to Ireland as a soldier in the 1860s, where he married my Irish GG Grandmother.

That makes me 1/16 Irish, though (somewhat inexplicably) I don’t like Guinness and don’t feel this gives me a reason to make a fool of myself on St.Patricks Day. ;):hihi:

me: made in sheffield

mum and dad born in pakistan

grandparents from india

great grand parents and beyond:- Afghanistan

Thats interesting stuff, have you ever wanted to go back further into their pasts? I bet if you could go back a couple of hundred years its be even more interesting.

Its a fascinating part of the world as far as populations and histories go.

My family comes from villages surrounding Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield back to the mid- late 19th century when they came from places like London, Norfolk and Ireland. Trying to find a Riley in Ireland isn't an easy task:confused:

Archived