Our potted histories.

I could go all the way back to the first of my lot to hit the coasts, probably some hairy viking who fought his way from the east coast to a plot of land that he turned into a farm ...

bloody immigrants! send 'em all back!

Really this is a great thread - thanks for starting it

Its turned out to be far more interesing than I thought it would. I expected most Sheffielders to be able to say they were Anglo Norse/Saxon all the way back like I am, but there are some interesting histories here.

Like you Jabbers my ancestors are all from Sheffield from way back, so is hubby's. So we emigrated and when our kids married, eldest son married a girl with Irish/English ancestry. The second son married a girl whose parents were Hungarian immigrants, our daughter married someone with Irish/English ancestry. So our grandchildren (6) are still of European ancestry, not much change there, very boring.:roll:

I am incomer, so no Sheffield-born, but...

me born Oxford

mother born London

grandfather born Newcastle upon Tyne

gt grandfather born Dalum, Odense, Denmark

gt gt grandfather do.

gt gt gt grandfather do. born 1802

These last two were organ builders, (Danish Organ Site! click 'Demant').

An earlier ancestor in this male line was a German mercenary in the 'Great Scandinavian War'.

But on my father's side I am originally Yorkshire, honest.

But then I am probably a viking on both sides :hihi:

Hugh

I was told many years ago that the Vikings could be traced as they raped and pillaged on the coasts of Britain by their blood groups.

There were apparantly small pockets of blood groups common in Vikings and not common here, in villages around the coast due to the pillaging etc.

These were the rarer blood groups of AB and B

So the groups of AB and B blood which persist could they be traced back to the VIkings of long ago ?

Just a theory.

hazel

I was told many years ago that the Vikings could be traced as they raped and pillaged on the coasts of Britain by their blood groups.

There were apparantly small pockets of blood groups common in Vikings and not common here, in villages around the coast due to the pillaging etc.

These were the rarer blood groups of AB and B

So the groups of AB and B blood which persist could they be traced back to the VIkings of long ago ?

Just a theory.

hazel

Possibly.... the ABO blood groups were "found" in 1901, if studies have been done in Scandinavia and the UK coast on DNA from old bones, then yes, they could trace back the blood groups.

My dad is an AB, my mum is an O, I inherited a group A gene from my dad and an O from my mum, so I'm a group A - I could equally have been group B, it was just chance!!! My brother is a group A as well - put a horned helmet on him and he'd be a dead ringer for a Viking!!!! :hihi:

When I started researching my family I thought it would turn up nothing more than pocket knife grinders/scissorsmiths/fork grinders etc. as I thought "my lot" had never moved further than Sheffield.

After researching my grandmother's surname, which incidentally, has strong Lancashire (wash my mouth!) connections I couldn't find a death registration for my 3x great grandfather which bugged me. Last year I finally found him having been transported to Australia in 1834 for "nicking". He served his 7 years sentence, married a woman 20 years his junior (he was 37 she was just 17!) and he produced several children there and continued his trade as a Hairdresser!

Apparently, he'd been a Hairdresser on Broad Lane/Street, Sheffield prior to his demise and was originally from Doncaster, I've no idea how/why he was in Sheffield.

When he was transported he left a wife and 2 very young children here in Sheffield, I'm descended from one of those.

Researching your family history is addictive, frustrating, rewarding and enlightening, I'd recommend it.

Duffem

Archived