What do you think of Sheffield's concert venues?

Bilge

What do you think of the range of concert venues we have in Sheff these days and the bands that play here? What improvements would you like to see?

In general it seems to be pretty good for small-to-medium size gigs and there's the Arena for massive acts (but personally I'd always avoid it unless it's the only way of seeing someone).

But we could do with a proper big stand-up rock venue (ideally with a sloping floor) for the stuff in between - like Mcr Apollo or Brixton Academy. A big ex-cinema/theatre is what you need for this - maybe the refurbished Abbeydale will have gigs on. The restored City Hall will be lovely I'm sure, but seats are never right for proper rock gigs. The Octagon is OK but it's the wrong shape and a bit too small. Maybe we need a big multi-purpose conference centre thing in the centre that could also put bands on.

Seats were taken out at the front but not very much stand room to be fair. I managed to sneek into the standing for rich ashcroft and OCS (yay!)

Wolves civic hall is a great venue id love city hall to be like that .And the brum carling place is ****ing huge and very cool

I saw loads of my favourite rock and heavy rock heroes at the City Hall. It is definitely the best venue in sheffield. Been to the Arena, [been to lots of arenas] not going to any arena ever again, you get a better view on tv. Arenas are just a rip off.

Lower refectory or whatever it's called now is ok, Octagon is ok, and especially good for boozing, and used to see lots of great gigs in the NMB. Leadmill has been good although bar and toilets there are poor. And I have been to gigs with terrible sound there, in last 10 years.

City Hall, I want you back.......:clap:

I'm more into pop, so it probably doesn't matter much about how that sounds in these places, but I like the City Hall because it's small and personal and no matter where you're sat you'd havea great view.

The arena is like a second home when it comes to boybands touring for me! Luckily for the past three years I've never been any further back than 5th row and if I can't get as close as that I won't bother going.

Being that close is good, but sound wise it's rubbish. You can't hear the music because the speakers are pointed over and out, not in your direction.

I vaguely remember Take That concerts from when I was younger and we were always about half way across the arena for those, on the side, and it was rubbish because you couldn't see the group properly.

Originally posted by gemma86

I'm more into pop, so it probably doesn't matter much about how that sounds in these places, but I like the City Hall because it's small and personal and no matter where you're sat you'd havea great view.

Well said Gemma

It's the same for any music, The City Hall is a wonderful venue. I have actually played there in my orchestra days, also the Albert hall in london, [not old enough to remember the sheffield albert hall] and the experience is similar. Wonderful fully fledged propper concert hall / theatre with great views from all sides, intimacy, good acoustics and pleasent and atmospheric venue.

I am not slagging pop. Good luck to you girl, Enjoy your concerts.

Archived