What do you think of Sheffield's concert venues?

Bilge

I think the Octagon is an excellent concert venue - ok size, quite wide but not too deep, always feel close to the stage wherever you are. Idlewild were the best band I have seen there in past few years (and their coming back in April!). Leadmill is a wee bit dingy but has the best choice of bands play there. Great mix of new stuff and classic acts. Seeing Ash there again last year after so long was kinda cool, especially after seeing a good number of new bands play there. Not seen anything at City Hall but would love to see it becoming a Manc Apollo type venue. Corp is a good place to mosh the night away if you like the type of bands they get. What would be great would be for Shef to get a proper music festival going, esp in 2006 when glasto is cancelled and there is space on festival calender for one. Leeds has a bit of a reputation for being a violent mess now so lets get something going down here. Relaunch the Phoenix Festival (3 day fest in Warks circa 1990s) in the steel city.

Originally posted by HottyMcBuff

I think the Octagon is an excellent concert venue - ok size, quite wide but not too deep, always feel close to the stage wherever you are.

Yes it is I seen some great bands there,

but acoustics are a bit crap. You get tin box reverberation off the back wall. Less bad if venue is very full.

Saw Bands Like Faith No More at their height, Terrorvision, Air Fun Lovin' Crims [great band bad concert] and loads and loads more there.

Best point about Octo is Bars, you can get served relatively fast when you consider how many are inside. always seem to have quality barstaff.

regarding the worst venue I've been to, it's not in Sheffield, but it's local, the Dome in Doncaster is appalling. I've been to two concerts there and they sound was AWFUL. It's in tennis courts and they put black sheets on the wall. The sound just echoes round the room and put together with teenie screaming you can't hear much of the show. The first one I went to there was worse than the second because I was quite far back (the view and layout is also terrible), but the second I was right at the front so it was much better, the sound was bouncing around by the time it had got to me!

Originally posted by carcrash

Did anybody ever go to the lyceum for the rock gigs they did there.

I saw the Boomtown Rats and Ray Davies & The Kinks at The Lyceum - sometime in the mid '80s I think?

I was really disappointed to find how cramped the seating in Hallam Arena is. I was only just comfortable, but I'm only 5' tall. Mr Strix (6'2") doesn't fit in the seats at all :mad:

Edit: Free train tickets at the ready for the journey to the NEC next time :thumbsup:

Originally posted by gemma86

regarding the worst venue I've been to, it's not in Sheffield, but it's local, the Dome in Doncaster is appalling. I've been to two concerts there and they sound was AWFUL.

I saw Janes Addiction there the other year (as Rock City had sold out) and it was terrible venue - it did also lead to one of the more bizarre exchanges I've heard with Perry Farrel asking the crowd "if they were all studying to be doctors". Que general stunned bemusement. He'd assumed it was a college town as he was playing in a gym in town he' d never heard of. "Is this not a college town?" "No, its a **** hole" came the waggish reply from the crowd....

I alwys used to really like the old Lower Refec, but generally I think Sheffield is pretty good for venues - but its always been lacking decent small/mid sized venues. The Boardwalk is good - though sadly the booking policy doesnt really focus on new bands.

I've never liked the Octagon though...

the boardwalk is brilliant for small gigs,one of the best in town i think

.zero is alright for gigs,sounds good,not enough space but its nice.

the leadmill would be better if it was bigger and had a better system..

and corp is alittle crap for stuff,but have seen some of the best bands there..roni size with live band,bad manners etc..

Archived