Seventies Monorail Project

Ousetunes

Another advantage of the tram is that it removes pot holes, all the roads that the tram currently goes along are nice and smooth as they never need to be dug-up, so the tram makes the road better for the car drivers too.

And they have to be kept so pristine that cars aren't allowed to go along them any more.

I think that alchresearch was using a line from 'The Simpsons' the 3 cities he used are probably very fictitous, in the episode in question a Monorail salesman cons Sprigfield out of a massive windfall and gives them a second hand system that fails.. MMMmmm sounds familiar:huh:

I sure was, I was really disappointed nobody picked it up at the time!

apparantly, the reason that this building was designed with a hole going straight through the middle....

http://www.lucas-digital.com/images/sheffield/sheffield_the_moor2.jpg

....is that the architectural plans facilitated a mono rail (or some other form of rapid transport system) to be sent straight down the moor, through the manpower services commission building (where there would also be a station) and then onwards up london road.

is there any weight in this story? or is it just a local urban myth?

apparantly, the reason that this building was designed with a hole going straight through the middle....

http://www.lucas-digital.com/images/sheffield/sheffield_the_moor2.jpg

is there any weight in this story? or is it just a local urban myth?

Not sure. However there used to be a ramp coming out of the south end of that building that would have connected to... another building that would have gone up on the still vacant site across the way at Young Street? a monorail station? ;)

You should see their urban motorways plan!

Hi,

Does the council have a Motorway Plan - or any kind of plan for that matter?

After the war, a big model was made showing how the council intended develop the city with all these super highways down the Don valley,etc. Little, if any of it happened and many of the things that did eventually happen were never in that plan. Remember the Civic Circle that was to keep

cars out of the city centre. Only Arundel and Furnival Gates were built and work done on Angel Street/Snig hill, West Bar and West Bar Green.

The tunnel that was to connect Charter Square to the Bottom of Broad Lane was never dug, presumably because of costs.

Regards

Liverpool used to have an overhead railway which travelled along the docks and basically took dockers to work and brought them back again. Having travelled on it, I can tell you that if you were interested in ships, you could see them all while you travelled. Sadly, when the docks were reduced it went down the drain until eventually it was demolished. Lovely thing to travel on though.

Liverpool used to have an overhead railway which travelled along the docks and basically took dockers to work and brought them back again. Having travelled on it, I can tell you that if you were interested in ships, you could see them all while you travelled. Sadly, when the docks were reduced it went down the drain until eventually it was demolished. Lovely thing to travel on though.

Hi Peter,

I remember riding the overhead railway. Yes, it was the best way to see all the shiping in the various docks. I seem to remember a well known passenger ship had previously caught fire in one of the docks and the burnt-out hull was still there when we passed. Can't remember the name of the ship or what year it was. Sometime in the late 1940's, early 50's?

We Boarded the train at the station near the Pierhead and went all the way down to Seaforth ? There was hardly anything there at the time but now I think it is where they built the big container terminal.

Then all the way up river to place (I'm guessing) called Dingle? The station there was in a tunnel I think. Then back to the Pierhead. The round trip cost about 15p. It was really useful for the dock workers going to work. Didn't they call it "The Dockers Umbrella", or something like that?

I had heard that it had been scrapped, which is a pitty. Then again, thats typical of most things these days. Here in Canada, anything that is useful is usually doomed, whereas anything that most people find totally useless our local councils seem to hang onto until the bitter end.

Regards

Hi,

Does the council have a Motorway Plan - or any kind of plan for that matter?

After the war, a big model was made showing how the council intended develop the city with all these super highways down the Don valley,etc. Little, if any of it happened and many of the things that did eventually happen were never in that plan. Remember the Civic Circle that was to keep

cars out of the city centre. Only Arundel and Furnival Gates were built and work done on Angel Street/Snig hill, West Bar and West Bar Green.

The tunnel that was to connect Charter Square to the Bottom of Broad Lane was never dug, presumably because of costs.

Regards

There's a whole thread somewhere about unbuilt roads in Sheffield. A 'search' for Heeley Bypass should unearth it for you :thumbsup:

Archived