Halal Restaurants

KW2008

There's a nice, small and intimate restaurant on West Street/Glossop Road, called Sheikhs, up near the Oxfam bookshop.

That's Lebanese. I used to love their Halloumi cheese and tomato pitta breads MMM!

If it's specifically middle eastern/ north African cuisine that you are after, the forum foodies had a meat in the Marrakesh restaurant, at west one. The waiter assured me that their meat was all halal. (He assumed that I had ordered the veggie option so as to avoid haram meat). The food there was really nice, and really enjoyable, but as delicious as it was, I felt a bit overfaced with the amount of couscous.

There are a number of "Indian" restaurants along London Rroad, such as "Aroma" and "Jumeirah", which serve halal meat. I have eaten at both of those, and quite enjoyed the food there, on both counts. (Although I didn't have the meat, at either place, as I only eat vegetarian)

Oh my God I've eaten in there - why didnt they warn me their meat was Halal !

Oh my God I've eaten in there - why didnt they warn me their meat was Halal !

Oh 'el.

You will turn into a mad suicide bomber after eating halal food. :D

Assuming you have not as yet taken a tube ride and blown yourself up I hope you read this reply and work out that halal is no problem to anyone except the terminally stupid and no greater problem to the animal than being killed in any other way.

Oh 'el.

Assuming you have not as yet taken a tube ride and blown yourself up I hope you read this reply and work out that halal is no problem to anyone except the terminally stupid and no greater problem to the animal than being killed in any other way.

That isn't exactly fair. I do have a problem with the way halal food is slaughtered so I always eat vegetarian options in restuarants which serve halal meat. That's no great hardship as the kind of restaurants that serve halal usually have really good vegetarian menus too.

And as for 'why didn't they tell me it was halal', well if you don't want to eat it then ask if the meat is halal. If you make a choice not to eat something it is your responsibility to make sure you ask the questions which make sure what you're eating is suitable for your diet.

That isn't exactly fair. I do have a problem with the way halal food is slaughtered so I always eat vegetarian options in restuarants which serve halal meat. That's no great hardship as the kind of restaurants that serve halal usually have really good vegetarian menus too.

And as for 'why didn't they tell me it was halal', well if you don't want to eat it then ask if the meat is halal. If you make a choice not to eat something it is your responsibility to make sure you ask the questions which make sure what you're eating is suitable for your diet.

I can see where you are coming from but may I suggest you see both slaughter methods ad decide for yourself.

I have a few veggie mates who feel that it's unacceptable to kill anything for food. I respect their attitude even if I don't share it.

You know the Arabic logo on the menu that said Halal

Aimed at the dude complaining he wasn't informed it was Halal.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh 'el.

I find the ignorance on this site unbelievable.... and u wonder why we have so much racial tension in this country...

You know the Arabic logo on the menu that said Halal

Aimed at the dude complaining he wasn't informed it was Halal.

You really need to either read some books or become more informed... Halal is not cruel,,, it is performed under a strict code similar to Kosher meat in the Jewish faith.... This just highlights the current Islamophobia that is endemic at the moment... The terrorists are extremists and do not represent all Muslims in the world... For goodness sake get a flippin grip.....

I find the ignorance on this site unbelievable.... and u wonder why we have so much racial tension in this country...

I don't think there's racial tension in this country. People fear what they don't know and the biggest introduction to Islam most people in this country had was on 9/11. Since then, a dumb left wing media has compounded this with it's idiotic writings. People may be scared of Islam, but it's not racial tension; it's mere ignorance. The mosque off Queens Road appears to understand this - inviting the community to open days to gain an understanding of proper Islamic faith and culture is a fantastic idea. :thumbsup:

Archived