Anybody remember Tony Dalli?

Texas

I am a great opera fan, and heard Toni at the Dial House club, the great impression was of ease of delivery without the aid of a mike, which most modern singers could never cope without. He was easily way above the current crop of tenors on the circuit, his was a voice that could easily have made a full time carear on the opera circuit.

Nice to know he is in good health and enjoying retirement, all the best to him.

Hi there I would like to say hello o Toni or his sons.

I was understudy to Toni inthe George Formby show at the Queens theatre Blackpool

the year 1961/2

do you remember you had me singing and rehearsing early mornings which was one of

your little querks.

Toni I have fond memories of those years and still remember the words of song we used

to close the first half SALUD with glass of vino

all the best for the coming festive season to you and your family

Brian Martin

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Simondalli

I believe your dad used to live on Albert Rd in Heeley in the late fifties and was a friend of Jan Padzierski who owned the Meersbrook garage and who also went to live in Spain.He used to have his reg no on his car Ithink it was TD2 if my memory still works

• 1 month later...
I remember Tony Dalli when I was a kid. He lived at my aunt's lodging house when he first came to Sheffield. It was over the Pizzuti's shop on Gibraltar St.She used to help lots of young Italian lads who came looking for work by giving them board and lodging. He started to be more well known when he won "Top Town" which was a talent spotting programme on TV.

did he go out with a girl called joan howard 1954 from broomgrove rd.

Does your father remember Albert Lyne who used to play piano for him when he was at Smithy Wood working mens club. Al was my uncle who sadly died a few years ago.

I think the drummer's name was Dennis.

I have an old single by Tony Dalli which my mother had called "Just Say I Love Her". It was on the mauve Columbia label from about 1958/59 and it was superb,very Mario Lanza sounding.What a voice he had.Unfortunatly i havent played it in years due to not having a record player.Does anyone know if he made any more records?.

There was a compilation LP called "Italian Seranade" which I have although I don't know when it was released. There is one on ebay with a few hours to go, also other 78s and 45s. A friend of mine, a classically trained soprano, sang with him on occasion at the Dial House Club (I think it was).

During that period in popular music, the classical voice was falling from favour with record buyers due to the new sounds of rock and roll, etc.

Edited by carosio