Anybody remember Tony Dalli?

Texas

I've just been visiting my 83 year old mum up in sheffield and she started to tell me about when her boss from hallamshire steel took her to the opera. also invited was a young italian who worked there who sang like a proffesional. "I wonder what happened to him? I think he went to america and became quite well known."

Being equally interested I said I'd look him up and lo and behold theres pages of stuff on him. Mum is thrilled to know he did so well for himself and still remembers sheffield with affection. I wonder if he can remember the same occasion. Her name is Olga which isn't all that common but she said he always called her misseees

• 1 year later...

Hi ..my father had mentioned Toni Dalli when we were young , and that he had known him from the camp at Mexborough and on a few occasions had got up and sang with him in the local pubs !! .. A couple of years ago I purchased your dads book and on one of the photos where he is with a group of his friends my dad is sat on the front row. His name was Benito (Frank) Tornese .ciao

Hi Sirjoe

After speaking to my father, he told me he remembers your father very well and pointed him out to me in the book! He would like to know how life has treated him and send you all his warmest regards.

Also if you are ever in Marbella we invite you to a plate of pasta with the family.

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon

Nice to hear your father remembers my dad .. Sadly he died in 1976 leaving myself 3 brothers 2 sisters and my mother .. I have met some of your and my dads Italian friends who have told me many stories of their lives in Yorkshire and how fondly they speak of them all like family .. Nice to hear from you and please send our warmest regards to your father and your family.. And if we ever in Marbella we will call in for that bowl of pasta .. Regards Sergio

• 2 months later...

Hello Simon, my familly originate from Maltby. I believe your farther was resposible for an act of great kindness towards them back in 1958. I wonder if you would be good enough to shed some further light on this for me. i cannot send private messages as i am new to the forum. Is there any other way i can message you privately ?.

Please reply, Shaun.

• 1 month later...
I was waiting for a bus up Nether Edge one time, and this guy, he was waiting also, started singing in Italian. I was like trying not to notice, it was difficult because there was only the Italian guy and myself. I didn't know what he was singing, and I hate opera anyhow, but he was good. He wasn't p****d or anything, he was just singing, opera. Well, the bus came and I never saw him again, that is, until a couple of months later.

So I was down in the City Hall, talking to this girl, she says 'That's Tony Dalli,' I turned around and sure enough it was the opera guy.

Later, I heard that he worked in the rolling mills or somewhere, and had made a record.

I would just like to point out that Italians do this thing. They are worse than the Welsh for singing at the drop of a hat and embarrasing the crap out of more miserable buggers like myself.

A few years ago he moved to Marbella and openened a nice restaurant. he also used to sing to the customers......his mates were sean connery, jimmy tarbuck etc.