Anybody remember Tony Dalli?

Texas

I remember Toni Dalli when he lived down Albert Rd area and came into Meersbrook garage with his big car,he was friends with Jan who owned the garage and who also went to spain to live a set up a bar.He had the reg,no. TD2 if my memory is correct.The year would be 1959.Does anyone off Albert Rd remember Billy Drabble?

Hi

This is my first posting after just joining the forum. I wondered if anyone knew whether Toni ever worked at Manvers Main Colliery in Wath-on-Dearne. I'm a Tenor who used to sing in working mens clubs mainly in the South Yorkshire area in the 80's under the name Robert Allen. I used to work at Manvers myself and remember my father saying that Toni had worked there too.

Also, I don't know if anyone can help me (perhaps Toni himself or Simon?). Toni is singing a song on Youtube (search Youtube with "TONI DALLI SINGS in Italy") and I wondered if anyone knows the name of the song and / or the complete lyrics to it? The Youtube video is showing Toni with a cameo part in an Italian film whilst he was in Rome (I think 1962).

I've never heard the song before and I do know a lot of Italian and Neapolitan songs and must say what a beautiful voice Toni had. He has so much feeling in his voice and his top notes are as shimmering and bright as I've ever heard in a Tenor. I've read that he sounded like Mario Lanza (and Lanza was an idol of mine when I was young) and some notes do sound like him, but personally, Toni's voice moves me much more than Mario's.

Hope someone (Simon / Toni?) can help me to identify the song.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

I am just reading Toni Dalli's biography and he worked at Maltby Colliery in the summer of 1952 and then at Hallamshire Steel and File company in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 14:56 ----------

Hi

This is my first posting after just joining the forum. I wondered if anyone knew whether Toni ever worked at Manvers Main Colliery in Wath-on-Dearne. I'm a Tenor who used to sing in working mens clubs mainly in the South Yorkshire area in the 80's under the name Robert Allen. I used to work at Manvers myself and remember my father saying that Toni had worked there too.

Also, I don't know if anyone can help me (perhaps Toni himself or Simon?). Toni is singing a song on Youtube (search Youtube with "TONI DALLI SINGS in Italy") and I wondered if anyone knows the name of the song and / or the complete lyrics to it? The Youtube video is showing Toni with a cameo part in an Italian film whilst he was in Rome (I think 1962).

I've never heard the song before and I do know a lot of Italian and Neapolitan songs and must say what a beautiful voice Toni had. He has so much feeling in his voice and his top notes are as shimmering and bright as I've ever heard in a Tenor. I've read that he sounded like Mario Lanza (and Lanza was an idol of mine when I was young) and some notes do sound like him, but personally, Toni's voice moves me much more than Mario's.

Hope someone (Simon / Toni?) can help me to identify the song.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Trevor

Post#20 on this thread may give you the answer to the name of the song. Mattinata.

Edited by harvey19

• 1 year later...