Has anyone info on Attercliffe Wharfe 1900 to 1925

Looking for any info on Attercliffe Wharfe I understand it was near Chippingham Street but I cannot find it on any maps that I have.My Great Aunt lived there at the time of her brothers deaths during WW1.Any help would be appreciated this is to help with research on Family History

Many Thanks

Looking for any info on Attercliffe Wharfe I understand it was near Chippingham Street but I cannot find it on any maps that I have.My Great Aunt lived there at the time of her brothers deaths during WW1.Any help would be appreciated this is to help with research on Family History

Many Thanks

I grew up on Beall Street and spent many hours around the canal from the mid-50's to the mid-60's. I think you are right when you mention Chippingham Street. There was a steelworks called Kayser Ellison that took up most of the property on the canal side of Chippingham Street from Worksop Road up to Bodmin Street. If you go on the other side of the canal and look across at just about the Bodmin Street point there was a bay-like opening and what looked like the remains of a dockside. This was just before the railway bridge. We travelled the towpath many many times from Shirland Lane down as far as Blackburn Meadows, and that's the only open water space that I'm aware of that would be big enough to accomodate a wharf. Also, I have a map called Old Ordinance Survey Maps of Attercliffe for the year 1903. Unfortunately, it doesn't go quite far enough to cover that specific location but there are other maps available contiguous to mine that would show it. Hope this helps.

You could try this website http://atlas.freshlogicstudios.com/

You can see very clear satellite images on there and you can see a large bay at the side of Chippingam Street, this may be the wharfe you are refering to.

If you need any more details, you could send a private message to 'detrius' who is a member on here, he used to live on Chippingham Street and may be able to help you.

Thanks for replies they have given me one or two avenue's to follow.I myself lived on Ardmore Street just off Shirland Lane but this was over 50 years ago and being a girl did not venture onto the canal bank. I have the 1903 map and am trying to get the one next to it. I believe that the wharf contained only about 5 houses and it was a continuation of Chippingham Street but not sure not found it on a map yet but still hope. With try and contact 'Detruis' maybe he can help. Thanks again for all your sugestions.

It looks like that was indeed the wharfe at that location. The only thing that doesn't fit is that the towpath is on the other side of the canal. If the barges were horse drawn in that era - how did the barges get in to the wharfe??

They would just need to lead the horse over Shirland lane bridge and back along the bank on the other side.

Somebody here has an early 20th. century directory, I wonder if Attercliffe Wharfe appears as a street name ? it might be the few houses between the end of Titterton street and Worksop road.

If I get time I'll pop in Local Studies on Saturday.

They would just need to lead the horse over Shirland lane bridge and back along the bank on the other side.

Somebody here has an early 20th. century directory, I wonder if Attercliffe Wharfe appears as a street name ? it might be the few houses between the end of Titterton street and Worksop road.

If I get time I'll pop in Local Studies on Saturday.

Hi Greybeard/ That would be feasible because the map doesn't show any houses on the stretch between the bridge and the wharfe in 1903. The houses that were there on Chippingham Street in my time, 50's/60's, must have been built after the closure in 1925? Maybe the house building is the reason the wharfe ceased operating? Be interested to know what your visit to Local Studies reveals. Cheers.

Archived