Has anyone info on Attercliffe Wharfe 1900 to 1925

Managed to get a few minutes in the library today and had a look at the directories for 1910 and 1916; couldn't find any mention of Atterliffe Wharfe.

In 1910 the three houses between Titterton street and Worksop road were numbered 167, 169 and 171, on the opposite side between the station and Worksop road there were then only two houses - numbered 232 & 234. At this time there were no other houses between the station and Shirland lane.

By 1916 the south side of Chippingham street was built up between Shirland lane and the station; between the Station and Worksop road there were four houses, numbered 228, 230, 232 amd 234.

Was the name Attercliffe Wharfe from any kind of official document or from private correspondence ? I didn't have the time to consult any maps of the period... perhaps next week.

Managed to get a few minutes in the library today and had a look at the directories for 1910 and 1916; couldn't find any mention of Atterliffe Wharfe.

In 1910 the three houses between Titterton street and Worksop road were numbered 167, 169 and 171, on the opposite side between the station and Worksop road there were then only two houses - numbered 232 & 234. At this time there were no other houses between the station and Shirland lane.

By 1916 the south side of Chippingham street was built up between Shirland lane and the station; between the Station and Worksop road there were four houses, numbered 228, 230, 232 amd 234.

Was the name Attercliffe Wharfe from any kind of official document or from private correspondence ? I didn't have the time to consult any maps of the period... perhaps next week.

Have been to Family History Fair in Norfolk Park today spoke to Mick Spick it was the Kelly's Directories I looked at last time I was there and yes Attercliffe Walk is listed and I have it on my Uncle's Attestation papers(WW1) so I think we can say it was there somewhere. If you follow the canal's path going towards Sheffield between Pinfold Bridge and Bacon Lane Bridge there are two wharfes mentioned round about Attercliffe Steel Works,Attercliffe Corn Mill and Fitzalan Works for (steel and iron) maybe we have been travelling the wrong way.When next in the library I am going to look up the 1901 census and see if it is listed seperate or joined to Chippingham Street as inKelly's. Also I am going to try to get a map of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. Once again thanks for your help.

• 8 months later...

Archived