31 Fitzwilliam Street

I am sure you mean the house itself, rather than the street, and the house is long gone. It was where Devonshire Green is, about half way between Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street (if you imagine tha latter continuing across the green and then across Devonshire Street to reach the junction of West Street and Eldon Street.

In White's 1919/20 Directory the entry for that address lists "Moran & Harvey, builders"

Hugh

Thanks for the suggestion Gracie.

Thanks Hugh, I did see the Moran & Harvey, builders info, haven't made the connection for them as yet if there is one. I'm waiting for a copy of James MORAN's will, maybe one of the daughters married a Harvey or it was just a business partnership.....just trying to put some meat on the bones as they say.

Thanks to you both....Trish

• 3 years later...
I am sure you mean the house itself, rather than the street, and the house is long gone. It was where Devonshire Green is, about half way between Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street (if you imagine tha latter continuing across the green and then across Devonshire Street to reach the junction of West Street and Eldon Street.

In White's 1919/20 Directory the entry for that address lists "Moran & Harvey, builders"

Hugh

You mention White's Directory. Do you have a copy - my maternal family (Crosby) lived in Fitzwilliam Street and I would like to know the number. My mother passed away in 1983 so rather too late to go down that line of enquiry!

Many thanks

You mention White's Directory. Do you have a copy - my maternal family (Crosby) lived in Fitzwilliam Street and I would like to know the number. My mother passed away in 1983 so rather too late to go down that line of enquiry!

Many thanks

Reuben Crosby, compositor.

133 Fitzwilliam Street.

Kellys directory 1925

• 2 years later...
Reuben Crosby, compositor.

133 Fitzwilliam Street.

Kellys directory 1925

Three years after your very informative post re Reuben Crosby - many thanks and my sincere and humble apologies for my tardy thanks.

No apologies needed, I'm pleased you found the info helpful.

m&p

Certainly very very helpful. My mother and her three brothers were raised there - feel I should say sorry that those terrace houses are no longer still there but when my mother (died 1983) and I went around the Fitzwilliam Street area in the 1960s they were well gone - perhaps it is called progress or whatever??. Plenty of family heritage but no current buildings to show it. I now live in Thailand but when I return to Sheffield every 12/15months I always walk to the top of Fitzwilliam Street and try to show my respect to my ancestors who lived there. Many many thanks for your immediate reply. God bless you and yours and all in Sheffield.

Archived