False tooth info needed!

Hi all, for the past year I have been having trouble with one of my teeth. I had it filled as a child and part of it fell out and I started having pain in it. I went to the dentist who told me it had rotted quite badly but he was able to drill half of it away and fill the rest. About 5 weeks later I went back to the dentist as the filling was falling out, he re-filled it me. About 6 weeks later it started falling out again so back to the dentist I trotted and was told make another appoinment and we will fill it again then maybe cap it. Then 2 days after that the pain was too much to bare and I went to the emergency dentist to have it filled again. And low and behold 2 days later it started again :rant:

Now tuesday I went to the dentist and he told me to either have a deep root canal or simply have it out and have a false tooth fitted, as it is a front tooth. I opted for the tooth out and false tooth. With alot of tugging and pushing the tooth came out but not before the root snapped and he had to dig it out. So, my mouth is a little sore even today but my pain killers are starting to kick in.

The dentist told me I have 2 options for a false tooth. Either a standard NHS one which is known as a plate whihc I think has something to do with fitting something to the surrounding teeth for the false one to attach to (if anyone has a clearer idea I would be grateful) or the other option which is a very fancy falsie which I believe is screwed in. Now the screw in one would be a better choice as there is no chance in it fallin out but it costs £700 - £800 and I just simply cannot afford it so the standard NHS one will have to do till I can afford it. I now have to wait 3 months for the swelling in my gum to go down then go for fitting etc. It's hurtful cos I'm only in my 20's :(

So, does anyone have any info I may need. :confused:

it may be worth going to the uni dentistry school..... if sheffield has one.

now before anyone goes "I'm not letting a student near my gob" I have just had a front crown redone at the leeds school of dentistry. I had 3 visits with a 5th year student who graduates in june I think it is. I had a new crown made for me by the techs at the university and they had to match my other dental work I had done years ago. I have to say, she has done a better job than any other dentist I have used before.

All students are supervised by qualified dentists and I found the experience to be quite pleasent and professional! so much so I am having the rest of my teeth done there. The best bit.......... its free. Already save £600 for the crown as I would have had to go private...(no nhs dentist accepting where I live)

I did have to register online and you fit around student timetables but if you already have to wait 3 months before you can get it done... might just be an option

Yes- Sheffield has the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital which it may well be worth you enquiring about treatment there.

I'm afraid I can't give you any more specific information as my teeth have been mercifully trouble free but I hope you get sorted out with something that looks OK and gets you out of pain soon.

Hi Sarah1312

my partner has had to have his big front tooth out because that had rotted really badley, that bad that it broke when he bit in to a sandwich.

they took it out as it was that rotten thay couldnt do anything with it. now his dentist gave him 3 options, he could have a palet falce tooth which is removable, a bridge where they attatch the falce tooth to the teeth either side & is perminent or a screw in which is perminently screwed to the jaw bone.

he is having a bridge fitted soon, but at the moment he has a palate falce tooth fitted as the dentist want him to have all his other work before they fitted the bridge. the bridge is going to cost him £189 on the NHS the same charge as it was for his palate. it may be worth speaking to your dentist again to see if you could have a bridge fitted.

When i was about 12 my front tooth was knocked out. I had a false tooth fitted perminately which has like wings on the back of it that are attached to the back of the teeth on either side of it. it's been fine ever since (I'm 29).

Obviousley it was free at the time because i was a child and I'd hate to think how much it would cost now but it looks like that might be a good option. While I waited for the swelling to go down I had a false tooth on a plate that i could put in and out, like a denture.

• 4 years later...

I'm having problems with my false front tooth,had it 29 yrs and always had problems with it,it's a fixed one and my gum keeps being sore off and on.Having a bad start this year though in feb found out i got a gum boil above my false tooth and my dentist would not touch it so had to wait 2 months for a appointment from Charles Clifford Hospital on the 30th May got one went,got there 15 mins before my appointment and was n't seen till 30 mins of waiting,then when i got in lady who was going go perform the gum surgery said to me that i may end up losing my false tooth because there was a fracture of the bone pallet ,which upset me and I asked her what my options are for replacement.She said well there's 3 options,I can either have a false tooth on a pallet er,NO! I might be able to have a bridge on my other front tooth but,because that's already crowned that may not work ,oh and the 3rd option which could cost me £2000 a fixed tooth,I said "What,how much?then cried and was in two minds into having her even touch my gum,but in the end I decided to go a head with the op,had 3 needles to numb it,she cut the gum pushed it back and found the fine fracture,don't know how that's even happened,but could be to do with my dentist trying to loosen the tooth a while back to replace it!So got an appointment for a consultation with my dentist for 30th June,and then tuesday one of my back molar fillings came out great,more money to pay out,only had that done 2 yrs ago!

• 2 months later...

Archived