Grange Towerblock to be demolished!

gribz

Originally posted by cosywolf

Okay, lol, looks like Norfolk Park has a new community worker just in time for me to bow out...Please tell me you are being paid by someone to be so knowledgeable, redrobbo.

Nope, I'm not a community worker, am not in any paid employment, and don't live on Norfolk Park. Have no relatives there either. Just have a strong interest in the area.

Update since my last post - due to the possibility of a general election, Meg Munn MP will be unable to jointly perform the blow-down due to legal constraints on parliamentary candidates (although she will still be invited to attend the event). Looks likely that a child from Norfolk Community Primary School will now perform the task either on their own or maybe with a former resident of the tower block? Not sure where the best viewing points are going to be though? Most are within the restricted zone. Still awaiting final details. But don't miss this exciting event folks!

Originally posted by redrobbo

Update since my last post - due to the possibility of a general election, Meg Munn MP will be unable to jointly perform the blow-down due to legal constraints on parliamentary candidates

You mean they're not allowed to go around blowing things up? What's the point of being an MP?

Originally posted by max

You mean they're not allowed to go around blowing things up? What's the point of being an MP?

Hello Max the Moderator. In answer to your query, an MP is of course entitled to go around blowing things down - as long as they have a legitimate reason to do so. However, during a general election period, Parliament will be dissolved. Ipso facto, there will not be any MPs, and strict rules are applied to media coverage - so that parliamentary candidates have a level playing field. I'm sure the local MP, Meg Munn, will still want to be at this significant event in Norfolk Park. Indeed, who would want to miss it? I hope you can make it as well Max!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had our letter this morning confirming the demolition of Grange Tower Block will take place at noon on Sunday the 24th of April.

Park Grange Road will be closed from 11:30am so come along and grab your places beforehand!:D

Say goodbye to Norfolk Parks last block standing! Its the end of an era!

Originally posted by kblade

Just had our letter this morning confirming the demolition of Grange Tower Block will take place at noon on Sunday the 24th of April.

Park Grange Road will be closed from 11:30am so come along and grab your places beforehand!:D

Say goodbye to Norfolk Parks last block standing! Its the end of an era!

Just to echo kblade - be there! Don't miss this event folks!

Going to watch these demolitions are very efficient days out! (oh yeah, and nostalgic/significant/momentous, etc) - so catch the last one if you can -

Turn up

Watch building get blown up

Run away from clouds of concrete dust heading your way

Head to the pub (good piece of scheduling for pub opening times, too, btw).

All done and dusted (pardon terrible pun) within half an hour.

Can anyone point me to any pictures or videos on the web or in archives of the old norfolk park blocks? Pictures of them standing, their demolition, and even their construction would be fascinating.

I've always held a fascination of high rise blocks. What were the ones at Norfolk park like to live in?

Archived