Festivals in Sheffield Parks; Cliffhanger in Millhouses Park, what do you think?

I've just looked at the link to this event and think it looks great. I heard this morning that residents of Millhouses are trying to get this event stopped (or at least moved back to Graves Park) due to increased noise, traffic, etc.

As I live only a 100 yards or so from the park, I really can't see what all the fuss is about. Most of the people in this area (unfortunately not me though:mad:) have driveways and garages, so I can't see how they'd be worried about cars parking outside their house.

As for the noise - can't see it myself. We hear ambulances, trains, HGVs on a regular basis, which is pretty par for the course when you live so close to one of the major roads in/out of the city.

I just wanted to say that I really welcome this event (and no doubt my 9 year old son will too) and that not everyone round here is opposed to this.

I've just looked at the link to this event and think it looks great. I heard this morning that residents of Millhouses are trying to get this event stopped (or at least moved back to Graves Park) due to increased noise, traffic, etc.

Realy, I don't believe it, are they related to the "we don't want a fair in Endciffe park 'cause it causes poor people to come into the area and rob us" brigade ?

Realy, I don't believe it, are they related to the "we don't want a fair in Endciffe park 'cause it causes poor people to come into the area and rob us" brigade ?

Yes, apparently everyone in Millhouses (except me!) is up in arms about it. There's a debate on Radio Sheffield at the moment about it too.

In all fairness, I used to live at the top of Endcliffe Park and never had any problems with anti-social behaviour, litter or vandalism. Until the week of the fair; car keyed, beer cans in front garden and some chavvy sort threatening to shoot me when I asked him to turn his gangstar rap off (at 1am on a Sunday night/Monday morning). Not to mention the awful music being played full volume whenever it was open (and frequently when it wasn't). One thing I won't miss since moving.

I think having a CAMRA beer festival there is a great idea. We go to beer festivals regularly and I have never seen one person drunk or badly behaved. I think the idea is to demonstrate how much you appreciate quality beer whilst staying corpus mentis. Modern pubs, however, are designed so that people stand up and thus drink quickly as they have to hold their pint, which is one of the reasons there is so much trouble on the drinking strips of major inner city centres. Does anyone agree with that?

A bit troubled about a real ale festival. I love real ale, but it does take careful handling. The barrels need several days to settle and need temperature control. Not sure that it will be available in a park.

I hope folks aren't subjected to cloudy and flat "re-rack". It could put folk off real ale rather than promoting it.

In all fairness, I used to live at the top of Endcliffe Park and never had any problems with anti-social behaviour, litter or vandalism. Until the week of the fair; car keyed, beer cans in front garden and some chavvy sort threatening to shoot me when I asked him to turn his gangstar rap off (at 1am on a Sunday night/Monday morning). Not to mention the awful music being played full volume whenever it was open (and frequently when it wasn't). One thing I won't miss since moving.

I just hope that the profits from the festival are put into the park and not into the pockets of promoters. This has been a problem with events in Sheffield Parks in the past.

After the event the parks own budget gets used to clear up the mess and repair the tyre tracks caused by lorries carrying fairground rides.

Just take a look at Graves Park. The Highland Fling was held there on Monday.

Archived