What is the oldest property in Sheffield?

I'm surprised no mention has been made of Beauchief Abbey. Can't remember the exact date from the info. board in the grounds, but the 6" OS map of the area gives foundation dates of 1173 - 1176. Certainly it would have been erected after Thomas A' Becket was given the chop. & that date eludes me, too.

And in respect of previous mention of the Queen's Head by PT, & the possibilty of this being a one time castle laundry, I believe latest thoughts are that this was more likely to have been a stop-over point for those above the salt who were privileged enough to hunt rather than being a mundane wash house. And no mention of those disputed 2 mile tunnels!

read the thread , very first reply suggest's beauchief abbey,

It was allegedly the laundry to either the castle or the Manor house.

My wife was told 40 years ago by the owner of the Queens Head at that time, that it was the original gate house to the Manor Castle ???????????

Probably a confussion arises here: Is the question refering to the Oldest habitual building, not the oldest building?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Steady on on Albert! You'll be getting a stinker from Jaidend who's pedantic response to me is hardly of import but, unfortunately, it is correct!

........ Thread is "Oldest Property". Whatever! If we are talking inhabited buildings Pevsner's Architectural Guide, of 2004, for Sheff tells that the Old Queen's Head of, maybe, 15th C is the oldest house in the city. If we are counting buildings still in use, Beauchief Abbey still counts & pre-dates it by 300 years or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Steady on on Albert! You'll be getting a stinker from Jaidend who's pedantic response to me is hardly of import but, unfortunately, it is correct!

........ Thread is "Oldest Property". Whatever! If we are talking inhabited buildings Pevsner's Architectural Guide, of 2004, for Sheff tells that the Old Queen's Head of, maybe, 15th C is the oldest house in the city. If we are counting buildings still in use, Beauchief Abbey still counts & pre-dates it by 300 years or so.

you said you was suprised someone had not mentioned beauchief abbey , i was being helpful telling you they had , as for being pedantic [ which seems to be the favourite word on the forum ] your not doing a bad impression yourself . back to the thread, I agree with albert that the old queens head is probably the oldest surviving domesticated building in sheffield , we have had this discussion before and there is all kinds of evidence for and against , one thing is clear , there is no certain proof .

read the thread , very first reply suggest's beauchief abbey,

Unfortunately the foundation date of the Abbey doesn't give us the date of the building currently on the site. The tower is reckoned to be 14th. century and the body of the present church was built in the 1660s by Strelley Pegge with stone taken from the ruins; as also was his house, Beauchief Hall.

As I mentioned earlier the only likely 12th. century building in Sheffield is the remaining bit of Ecclesfield Priory.

Getting back to the point-

Sheffield Cathedral - Main Cruciform plan still existing, built 1430.

Beauchief Abbey - Opened 21st December 1183, west tower still exists and is attached to what is now the chapel built in the 17th century.

Olde Queens Head - Built 1475.

Ladys Bridge - wooden bridge built 1150 non of which exists now (as I first mentioned), stone bridge built 1485, non of which now remains as from 1784 onwards (including 19th century) the bridge has been re- built and modernised extensively.

Compiled from many sources, hope this is helpfull.

Archived