What is the oldest property in Sheffield?

I beg to differ. Carl Wark is within Sheffield city boudaries as the Ordnance Survey map shows -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=425940&y=381450&z=3&sv=425940,381450&st=OSGrid&lu=N&tl=~&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

The structure that I referred to as the oldest built structure (meaning one rock on top of another) is the western wall. There's a good picture of it at the bottom of this page -

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/carlwark.htm

I agree Wincobank hill fort is equally old although no one has precise dates on either. Does any other UK city have two Iron Age hill forts within its boundaries?

Carl Wark could certainly be classed as a building, but we were originally asked for the oldest structure, a structure bieng defined by the English dictionary not as 'one rock on top of another but as 'arragement, configuration,construction,form,formation,edifice,erection pile. Then i still say stone circles built thousands of years before Carl Wark are legitimate structures. The people of Wiltshire certainly regard Stonehenge as a structure.

Unstable ( Registered User ) Your quote:

' The people of Wiltshire certainly regard Stonehenge as a structure '.

Have you ever visited,' Arbow Low ' situated in the White Peak District.

Its not far from the High Peak Trail. If you haven't, it is well worth a visit.

I call it the,' Stonehenge of the North '.

Yes Albert I've visited 'Arbor Low' many many times and agree it's still a fine structure, it's location is incredible too, I can see why it was picked for a stone circle. It's neighbour Gib Hill Barrow is an interesting site too.

Hmm i would like to see this stone circle.

ive been to grindelford a few times. and walked up paddleis gauze, were there is a series of rocks. with massive drops. at the top of the mountain there is a massive drop.. with stone rocks at the edge.. and on this rock is a Sun perfectly carved into the rock. strange?? is this something pagan?

to the south west of that location is a bigger mountain. and on the mountain is a massive rock. what you can crawl through.

You dont happen to mean any of them location on this circle... dont u?

if not i want to know were it is from that location.

i am very interested.

ive been to grindelford a few times. and walked up paddleis gauze, were there is a series of rocks. with massive drops. at the top of the mountain there is a massive drop.. with stone rocks at the edge.. and on this rock is a Sun perfectly carved into the rock. strange?? is this something pagan?

to the south west of that location is a bigger mountain. and on the mountain is a massive rock. what you can crawl through.

i am very interested.

Are you referring to Carl Wark or Arbor Low

Carl Wark is a Ancient Briton Fortress ( I believe ) and Arbor Low is a stone circle of probably a religious civilisation that I / we know very little about.

I would like to hear anything further about these.

If enough people are interested, I'd organise a trip to Arbor Low. a short walk on the High peak or Tissington Trails could be included also.

i am very interested.

It sounds like you walked up Paddley Gorge. Carl Wark is not far from there. Or if you went to the west there is froggat edge and white edge. Iknow it's going of the subject but I also would be interested to know where this rock with a sun carving is, many thanks.

i am very interested.

Is paddleis gauze near faggot hedge?

Archived