What is the oldest property in Sheffield?

Not everyone is conversant with the place names in the Peak District Nation Park. But most make themselves understood.

I would imagine that you are referring to Paddly Gorge and Frogatt Edge.

There's a great echo here in the Sheffield forum.

Not everyone is conversant with the place names in the Peak District Nation Park. But most make themselves understood.

I would imagine that you are referring to Paddly Gorge and Frogatt Edge.

There's a great echo here in the Sheffield forum!

It sounds like you walked up Paddley Gorge. Carl Wark is not far from there. Or if you went to the west there is froggat edge and white edge. Iknow it's going of the subject but I also would be interested to know where this rock with a sun carving is, many thanks.

Could it be Paddley gorge or Froggat edge????????????

Ladys Bridge - wooden bridge built 1150 non of which exists now (as I first mentioned), stone bridge built 1485, non of which now remains as from 1784 onwards (including 19th century) the bridge has been re- built and modernised extensively.

Compiled from many sources, hope this is helpfull.

What sources ?

There is ample evidence that much of the 1485 stone bridge remains. The bridge was widened in 1761 when the Almshouses were pulled down and again in 1785 when two other properties were pulled down. The bridge was widened yet again in 1865 and for the last time in 1909. But at no time was the original structure demolished.

As J.R Wigfull says in in the last paragraph of his history of Lady's Bridge..

"The present appearance is distinctly modern, and it is difficult to realize that, embedded in its centre, is a structure built more than four and a quarter centuries ago, yet such is the case."

Having a search, the oldest building with a roof (so ignoring Carl Wark and the like) is St James' Church in Norton, the oldest part of which is Norman, but very little of that date survives.

The oldest building in anything like its original form, and the oldest building in which someone lives seems to be the chapel of the Old Hall in Ecclesfield.

The oldest buildings in or near the city centre are the Cathedral (although not much of it is mediaeval), the Old Queen's Head and Broom Hall.

What sources ?

There is ample evidence that much of the 1485 stone bridge remains. The bridge was widened in 1761 when the Almshouses were pulled down and again in 1785 when two other properties were pulled down. The bridge was widened yet again in 1865 and for the last time in 1909. But at no time was the original structure demolished.

As J.R Wigfull says in in the last paragraph of his history of Lady's Bridge..

"The present appearance is distinctly modern, and it is difficult to realize that, embedded in its centre, is a structure built more than four and a quarter centuries ago, yet such is the case."

I'm almost certain that, that rings a bell with me.

I spent hours finding out all the information for the proposed,

' Sponsored Sheffield History & Monument Walk '. which never took place, Why or if I did disposed of all the information, I'm still not certain.

It may be in the attic.

Having a search, the oldest building with a roof (so ignoring Carl Wark and the like) is St James' Church in Norton, the oldest part of which is Norman, but very little of that date survives.

The oldest building in anything like its original form, and the oldest building in which someone lives seems to be the chapel of the Old Hall in Ecclesfield.

The oldest buildings in or near the city centre are the Cathedral (although not much of it is mediaeval), the Old Queen's Head and Broom Hall.

I forgot about Broom Hall. It's a hidden gem and you have to walk up the drive to see it properly.

This page shows the dates of most of Sheffield's listed buildings. Anything ancient is automatically listed, just because of its age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_buildings_in_Sheffield

I forgot about Broom Hall. It's a hidden gem and you have to walk up the drive to see it properly.

This page shows the dates of most of Sheffield's listed buildings. Anything ancient is automatically listed, just because of its age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_buildings_in_Sheffield

Thank you for the first class information page.

Years ago when I was planning a Sponsored Charity Walk I spent hours mainly on Saturdays at the Reference library fishing out a lot of this.

This is just one aspect of how computers have enhanced all of our life's.

Click onto ' Wikipedia.org/ ' and you have the world at your finger tips.

As I mentioned in post 19

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3469272&postcount=19

The tower of Beauchief Abbey contains only a small Norman arch over the little side-door, but the main door and large window are distinctly Gothic which suggests the tower was rebuilt in the 13th. century, possibly a hundred years after the abbey was founded.

Archived