What is the oldest property in Sheffield?

This is just one aspect of how computers have enhanced all of our life's.

Click onto ' Wikipedia.org/ ' and you have the world at your finger tips.

Sadly the content of Wikepedia articles is often marred by serious inaccuracies posted by enthusiasts who care more for the medium than they do for the message.

The article on Lady's Bridge for instance claims that "When built it could only be crossed by pedestrians as there were steps at either end of the bridge." and "[in 1784]the chapel to Our Lady was demolished. For the first time carts could now cross the bridge—prior to this all carts had to use the Sheaf bridge".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady%27s_Bridge

Mistakes easily avoided with a little research into the subject.

What sources ?

There is ample evidence that much of the 1485 stone bridge remains. The bridge was widened in 1761 when the Almshouses were pulled down and again in 1785 when two other properties were pulled down. The bridge was widened yet again in 1865 and for the last time in 1909. But at no time was the original structure demolished.

As J.R Wigfull says in in the last paragraph of his history of Lady's Bridge..

"The present appearance is distinctly modern, and it is difficult to realize that, embedded in its centre, is a structure built more than four and a quarter centuries ago, yet such is the case."

One of the sources was wilkepedia!!!! Thanks for the correction thats a good bit of information on Ladys bridge and something I'd like to find out a bit more. It has also answered my question about how reliable information is on sites such as Wilkepedia, from now on I'll stick to the books.

the site of manor castle was deer park when it was built.

the deer roamed freely in the upper gardens of norton hall , so they named it deer park .

do a search for the shore family norton hall , it's fascinating , the photo from 350 years ago is the same building which is flats now and used to be beechwood clinic. it also shows the church pretty much the same as it is now .

theres even a reference to florence nightingale and her relatives of sheffield .

The Shore's owned Tapton Hall and Florence, their neice, was a regular visitor, apparently. By the way, it's Florence's Birthday today.:)

Sadly the content of Wikepedia articles is often marred by serious inaccuracies posted by enthusiasts who care more for the medium than they do for the message.

The article on Lady's Bridge for instance claims that "When built it could only be crossed by pedestrians as there were steps at either end of the bridge." and "[in 1784]the chapel to Our Lady was demolished. For the first time carts could now cross the bridge—prior to this all carts had to use the Sheaf bridge".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady%27s_Bridge

Mistakes easily avoided with a little research into the subject.

The thing about Wikipedia is you can correct any mistakes you see to make it better. It's a two way thing.

Did you correct the mistakes?

The thing about Wikipedia is you can correct any mistakes you see to make it better. It's a two way thing.

Did you correct the mistakes?

I have in the past attempted to edit Wiki entries, only to find a few days later my entry has been deleted and replaced with the original incorrect version of events. Some people are not concerned with the truth, - only their version of it.

In the case of the Lady's Bridge entry, the assertion that the bridge could not be used for carts and waggons for three hundred years after it's construction is so patently ridiculous that I imagine few if any serious students of Sheffield's history would believe it.

It's just not worth getting into a fight over it.

Does anyone have an exact build date for Broom Hall. I,ve had a quick read around but their seems to be conflicting data or just shear guess work.

There's an article about Broomhall by J. R. Wigfull in the Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society Vol 4, page 161. These are available to the casual reader in the Local Studies Library.

From Alastair's post it seems the early timbers have been dated by dendrochronology.

Although he doesn't quote a source for the information I suspect it is this - :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broom_Hall

There's an article about Broomhall by J. R. Wigfull in the Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society Vol 4, page 161. These are available to the casual reader in the Local Studies Library.

From Alastair's post it seems the early timbers have been dated by dendrochronology.

Although he doesn't quote a source for the information I suspect it is this - :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broom_Hall

Nope, I read it first in the Pevsner Architectural Guide to Sheffield, great book. For some reason the excellent associated website "Looking at Buildings" which had a lot of information on Sheffield has been down for months. Strange because it's meant to be funded by the Arts Council.

As I mentioned in post 19

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3469272&postcount=19

The tower of Beauchief Abbey contains only a small Norman arch over the little side-door, but the main door and large window are distinctly Gothic which suggests the tower was rebuilt in the 13th. century, possibly a hundred years after the abbey was founded.

Yes, indeed. I'm not sure how that contradicts what I wrote - the chapel dates from the 13th century and is probably pretty much intact - albeit heavily restored in the 19th century. The tower does date from the same era, but is the only remaining part of the church, and of course is not an inhabited structure.

Wikipedia is indeed a very useful starting point, but if you are planning on relying on anything stated on it, do check a reference (the better articles tend to include clear references).

For information on listed buildings, English Heritage's Images of England is a fantastic resource.

Archived