What is the oldest property in Sheffield?

Beauchief Abbey & Norton Church (both then in Derbyshire) were built in the 1180s; St James' may have been on the site of an existing chapel of Dronfield Church, & it was subsequently much rebuilt in the 15th, 16th & 19th cents. The only part of Beauchief still standing in its original place is the tower (formerly much higher) & that only dates from the 14th cent.

The Lady Chapel in the Cathedral is no older than the rest of the east end. The whole church was rebuilt in the mid 15th cent & there are great similarities with Ecclesfield & Rotherham churches. The Lady Chapel (nearest Church St) was extended to its present length about 1500, & St Katharine's Chapel similarly squared off in the 18th c, to make storage for the town fire-engine! The whole east wall was re-faced soon after. The nave was rebuilt with much higher arches (to take galleries) around 1800, but they tried to keep the 15th c style.

The only survivals in the Cathedral from before about 1450 are the stones that have been built into the wall behind the high altar: some of these have Norman ornament from the predecessor of the 13th c church, so probably there was a stone building there from about 1100, & a wooden one before that.

If the oldest building is taken to be still standing and roofed, I'm fairly sure St James' Norton, with some nave arches & the tower arch from 1180-1200 takes the prize, closely followed by parts of Ecclesfield Priory & (no one has mentioned this) Handsworth Church. The Old Queen's Head would be the earliest domesic building.

Geoffrey White

Rector of Norton.

If the oldest building is taken to be still standing and roofed, I'm fairly sure St James' Norton, with some nave arches & the tower arch from 1180-1200 takes the prize, closely followed by parts of Ecclesfield Priory & (no one has mentioned this) Handsworth Church. The Old Queen's Head would be the earliest domesic building.

Geoffrey White

Rector of Norton.

Thanks for your contribution. I thought St. Mary's at Handsworth had been rebuilt from a 'ruinous' state in the late 15th. century. Are there any of the original Norman features remaining in the present fabric ?

I was just going on Pevsner's comment (Buildings of England: Yorks WR) "internally...the church shows that it was built c1200".

2 others with 12th cent fragments are Bradfield & Beighton; these 2, with St James' & Beauchief Abbey are among 8 historic churches in the city which will be open for the Sheffield Heritage week-end 14-15th June. At Norton we shall be offering a history talk at 2pm on the 14th, while former pupils of Norton Free School may like to return to the old school building (1895), now the "Chantrey Centre", where we shall be holding our Summer Fair, the first public "preview" of the restored building.

Geoffrey.

PS For more details of the weekend see http://www.heritageinspired.org.uk

Yes thats what i mean :) thanks haha.

i cant wait to visit this area.

i know i went up Paddley's Gorge. We went to the end. there is a series of Big rock drops on the way through this. But at the end of this walk. to the top.

is a mass pile of rock. and on the edge, of the rocks, faceing you, is a carving of a sun.

strange? lol

• 3 weeks later...
I believe one of the oldest settlements(if not the oldest) in Sheffield is on the top of Wincobank Hill.

At least that's what the head-teacher of Meersbrook Primary School used to say.

I believe it was a hill fort, one of a few iron age settlements in the region from about 200BC.

When would the roman road at stanage have been laid

would the stones at stanage pole been put there at the same time

The earliest forts at Brough and Templeborough both date from the 1st. century AD so the road between them was probably built at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived