Rolling Stones City Hall Bill?

sheffix

Can anyone help? As a kid I was taken to see The Stones at the City Hall (early sixties) and I swear that the bill included The Barron Knights and Petula Clark. Was this possible or a figment of my ageing imagination? Anyone else remember it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sheffix

I was at that concert as well and I don't seem to remember the Barron Knights or Petula as supporting acts. I do remember though sitting in the cheap seats on the stage.

I cannot remember who was on with the Stones - I saw most of the concerts around that time and they all had good supports. I particularly remember Gene Pitney -I ran out (from my cheap seat) with the intention of planting a kiss on his cheek - I got right up to him and bottled it!

Concerts were normally held on a Saturday night and the following morning we would all go back for autographs - most of the stars stayed at the Grand Hotel (now gone) opposite the City Hall. Those were the days......

Ginger

• 2 weeks later...

My memory of the Stones was City Hall early 60s, on the bill Peter and Gordon, Barron Knights and the Remo 4. ( I delivered some paperwork to the hall at about 4.30 that afternoon and was mistaken for one of the Remo 4 by the hysterical females outside).

Got in to see the Stones later brought the house down.

Happy days

I remember parking in Pinstone Street, outside Stewart & Stewart, around 1964. The police moved me on, saying The Rolling Stones were appearing at The Gaumont, and traffic was being moved away from the area.

My mum saw them at the Gaumont when she was 15.

I saw The Stones around 64 sur City Hall. Actually went to see The Animals who topped the bill. This odd long haired band came on. It appears that part way throught the tour The stones became the top. Not sure if The everly Brothers were on the bill as well. As usual for those days it was a full show.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a show around 63/64 called the 4 cities Rythm and Blues show with The Rolling Stones from London, the Redcaps from Birmingham, the Swinging Blue Jeans from Liverpool and our own Dave Berry and the Cruisers from Sheffield.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing the Stones at the Gaumont. On with them were The Hollies, Unit Four Plus Two and Goldie and the Gingerbreads.

Couldn't hear anything for the girls screaming, I had a wringing in my ears for three days afterwards and vowed never to go to a concert again.

I do remember they were once due to appear at the City Hall but it was cancelled for fear that the noise and vibration levels might damage the ceiling.

Archived