Looking for history of Frecheville

Hi, I know topics on this area of Sheffield have been done before but I'm still interested in things about the area as I'm doing a project on the area for college.

I'd like to know in particular how Frecheville has changed down the years, is it different today in terms of the demographic of people living there? If it's changed much are the any reasons for these changes? When did most of the properties become privately owned?

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help me these questions!:)

You may do worse than contacting Henry Boots who built the estate. I am sure they will have some info for you. I do know that it was a very select area when it was new. I think it is still a nice place to live.

Go to the City Libraries website and search the catalogue under Frecheville and you'll find a number of histories of various sorts.

If you need info before 1974 you may need to contact Derbyshire libraries, as Frecheville was part of Derbyshire until April 1974.

• 2 months later...

Henry Boot offered to build a housing estate for Sheffield Corporation, but they turned him down, so he built it over the border in Derbyshire at Frecheville.

The estate was owned by a housing association, First National, who rented the houses to tenants. Legislation was introduced in the 1960's that gave sitting tenants the right to buy their homes from their landlord. There was anecdotal evidence of some tenants buying not their house but those of their neighbours, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived