Car insurance - cancelled

I got a text this morning from my car insurer to say that they've renewed my insurance. I got a notification warning me last week, but I didn't find a cheaper insurer so just left it.

However, I'm not sure if the card they took payment from is still valid so I'm just in the process of finding out.

Our insurance was cancelled but i think 2 payments went unpaid, oops! Get back in touch n let them know that they haven't even tried to take the money again and haven't warned you of cancellation etc... play hard ball and they usually back down..

The T&Cs usually say that if you don't pay you aren't covered and you usually pay insurance in advance, so you could tell them that you presumed you weren't covered back in January because they hadn't taken payment. Whether or not you then drove without insurance is your business, not theirs.

• 3 years later...
I had a letter from my car insurance company yesterday stating that they have cancelled my policy and that i owe them money for them doing it. The letter was not even to tell me my policy has been cancelled it was to say they have passed on my debt to collection - i didnt even know i was in debt or uninsured.

When i questioned why they had cancelled it they said a payment was rejected in JANUARY. I know i should have checked my bank statements but i havent - and why did they not try to take a payment in Feb? or March or April? it was on direct debit so a payment should be automatically retried.

I spoke to my bank who told me that they have not attempted to take payment in the months following.

They have not contacted me about this either in a letter or by phone and i have been driving my car around for the last month without insurance - which is a bit scary with the 'what if's'.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

were you with adrian flux or equity red star by any chance

my lads been insured now for nine month has one more payment which comes out tomorrow but today had his insurance cancelled because of a change of address and next week Adrian Flux want £375 for the privilege how can this be possible

I am now insured elsewhere - i sorted it out within an hour or so of finding out i was not insured.

I have proof from the bank that they did not attempt to take any payments - the only problem is they have charged me £195 to cancel the policy and sent it to a collection agency.

Did you answer the question about "Have you had a policy cancelled by an insurer"?

my lads been insured now for nine month has one more payment which comes out tomorrow but today had his insurance cancelled because of a change of address and next week Adrian Flux want £375 for the privilege how can this be possible

Because you took out a policy which insures the vehicle at a given address for one year.

The premium for that policy is fixed and has been paid in installments.

On cancellation the full premium plus an admin charge is payable.

Changing address is a material change in the insured risk and you may find that some companies refuse to insure certain situations at certain addresses, because of the perceived risk based on claims statistics.

Where risks are virtually the same, companies are usually willing to alter the policy.

It was probably all in the policy document.

Adrian Flux are brokers?

In which case they are out for whatever they can make.

Did you try contacting the actual insurers directly?

Archived