Music Venues - Guardian article

Cool.......The Dove is now looking for bands with a significant fan base in Sheffield, ie 50 supporters or more who are likely to show.

Buffy, you're not going to start demanding this at the moorfoot are you, or we're in trouble! ;)

Buffy, you're not going to start demanding this at the moorfoot are you, or we're in trouble! ;)

We decided this at the Dove as too many bands turned up with 2 fans and one grandma in a wheelchair and bought 2 pints between them all. So I think it best to go for bands with proven gig history as on gig nights I need bodies through the door or no point in staging the band at all.......when I say 50 thats an average......but 2 fans was just ridiculous plus one deaf grandma who kept saying she didn't like the music anyway.....

We decided this at the Dove as too many bands turned up with 2 fans and one grandma in a wheelchair and bought 2 pints between them all. So I think it best to go for bands with proven gig history as on gig nights I need bodies through the door or no point in staging the band at all.......when I say 50 thats an average......but 2 fans was just ridiculous plus one deaf grandma who kept saying she didn't like the music anyway.....

When you book a band, always ask them about their gig history and get an idea from them about the number of supporters they generally bring. Explain to them that they will be playing to a fairly empty pub unless they do some marketing. Hope that helps.

Another way to ensure sufficient people at the gig, is to ask the band to ensure they dont play 3 wks either side of their gig, unless agreement by both parties.

Playing out every week just dilutes your crowd...

Obviously is they get a warm up at the arena, no ones gonna tell them to turn it down! :P

This article is of course only one person's opinion. It's often down to the level of advertising spent by a venue and the number of reviews which are written about bands that have played at the place. I'm not saying that the venues listed aren't worth of a mention, however there are some glaringly bad omissions. Why limit it to a top 10? It just alienates the good work of other venues.

er ... are you seriously suggesting all those venues advertise with the paper in question? Its the Guardian not Exposed!

I think the intention of the article is to highlight smaller, low profile venues.

Plug and Corporation already have a reputation that stretches outside of Sheffield. I know Leadmill does too, but nobody can deny that the Leadmill has a longer history as a venue.

The article says that the Leadmill has 4 rooms? I thought it only had 3.

I think the intention of the article is to highlight smaller, low profile venues.

Plug and Corporation already have a reputation that stretches outside of Sheffield. I know Leadmill does too, but nobody can deny that the Leadmill has a longer history as a venue.

The article says that the Leadmill has 4 rooms? I thought it only had 3.

The other room is through the disabled toilet next to , the ladies - there is a secret door through there, leading to an underground club. Best place imo.

I think they are counting the little beer offshoot the main building (bottle bar) as a separate room.

When you book a band, always ask them about their gig history and get an idea from them about the number of supporters they generally bring. Explain to them that they will be playing to a fairly empty pub unless they do some marketing. Hope that helps.

Yeah we do, its just a lot of bands we have had promise they will bring a "huge crowd". and then what happens, one grandma and 2 others who buy one drink between them and then leave...it has happened many times. Even with bands who have a fair gig history.......I think the best way now is to go and see bands at other venues and judge the attendance they seem to have have "in the flesh" as it were......I would love to just stage unknown bands and give them all a chance to shine, but having gained a substantial crowd of 'regulars' who drink here many nights a week, I have to consider what they want too. Unlike the old UTB where the only people who went were the fans of the bands, we have become a 'proper pub' for want of a better expression, with regular customer base who are not all fans of live music.

The other room is through the disabled toilet next to , the ladies - there is a secret door through there, leading to an underground club. Best place imo.

Is that a new addition? I never knew it existed!

Archived