Duncan Road - Crookes

Any one remember duncan road, crookes in the 1940.s.

also toftwood road and the row of cottages at the bottom of duncan road. had many hours of good playtime there. have been back fairly recently but the place has changed beyond recognition.

I lived on Tasker Road which ran off Mulehouse Rd from 1943 to 55, so I knew that area very well, I went to school with a girl called Joan Baker that lived on Duncan Rd, an old mate of mine now lives on there, another moved to a new housing estate that was built on what we called the old gardens at the top of Stannington View Rd, near to what we called the first farm.

I have very happy memories of that area, Crookes was a fantastic place to live in those days, the majority of the kids from that area went to Crookes Endowed School, others went to Lydgate Lane school, I remember well the bonfire that was held every year on a spare block of land between Brick St & Carson Rd.

Having the Bole hills & Riverlin so close was a haven for kids to play in that era, we left home in a morning and only went home at teatime, our favourite pastimes were pinching goosberries from the gardens next to the cemetery & jumping on the tram going into the tram sheds on Pickmere Rd after the conducter had gone into the post office to cash in his fares for the day, they were the good old days.

can.t remember a shirley taylor.sorry. skippy. don.t remember joan baker. remember dorothy davies.maureen hunter.david ellis.wainers.wordsworth. yes those were good days.starting play in the morning and going home at tea time safe and well. playing at the end of duncan road and down the fields. i went to crookes endowed school some a lot went to western road school.after duncan road went to stannington returning to crookes. lived in brighton terrace road. st anthoneys road.not a lot of money around but swere happy.remember dairy at the bottom of duncan rd.mr.meesons.sweet shop.chip shop at the bottom of olehill. leapers chemist. had a cousin on forres road.good place to live

mr.meesons.sweet shop. leapers chemist.

wyke, was it pop meesons shop that had all the cats crawling everywhere ?

I remember Leapers chemist, we used to get liqourice called spanish juice from there & liqourice root.

My mother worked at the chippy opposite Crookes picture palace around 1948

I also lived at stannington for a couple of years [44-46] with my aunty, Uppergate Rd where the Hare & hounds was & Crown & glove is.

We moved to the Shirecliffe when I was 12, although I still came back to Crookes every weekend to play with my old mate [JC] I left school in 1958.

hello skippy

ys meesons was the sweet shop with all the cats aroundi think there was harrops shop nearby. sold papers and sweets.etc. do you remember the garage at the bottom of mulehouse with the white michelin man made of tyres outside.used to walk all over the area.on the road from mulehouse to i think lydgate lane and on to crosspool.have also walked down the allotments thro acordn wood to rivelin and over to stannington.used to cycle with my friend there too.good memories. kids nowadays don.t kn ow what they are missing.we had no mobiles but were out for hours.no one seemed to worry.my mother had a friend on mulehouse called scholefield.also remember a family called carnells near there.my brothers went to lydgate school

WYKE, there was a family called Needs that lived about 3 doors down from Neesons shop, Raymond, Trevor & ?, they went to Crookes Endowed too.

I also used to cycle to Stannington, down Manchester Rd to the rivelin Valley Post Office, then up Reynolds lane, a steep hill that went right up to Stannington from Rivelin Rd.

Do you remember the spare block of land at the bottom of Bole Hill Rd, they had a bonfire on there too every Nov 5th, we used to go and pinch there wood for the bonfire on Brick St, that land was later turned into a swing park.

I remember a POW that was released & sent home, [late 40's] he lived on Bole Hill Rd, that was a big event when he came home.

Like you, we walked everywhere, especially at Whitsuntide when the bands used to walk all the way to & from Weston Park, Crookes Congs, Wesley Hall etc.

I remember the tyre man, just above there was a red church, I was a life boy there, then there was a cobblers shop, and opposite that was Watkinson's corner store at the top of Tasker Rd.

There are a couple of threads on the forum about Stannington, what years did you go to Crookes school ? did you go on the Crookes club trips to Cleethorpes ? that was a great annual event.

hi skippy

i don.t remember the p.o.w. on toftwood road there was a family called jenkinson.they lived over our garden wall.this wall was at the bottom of our house in duncan rd and if we wanted a short cut to save going down all duncan rd we eoulf climb over and save a lot of time gettng on to bolehill road then the bolehills.i think the red church you mention was the babtist church.i seemed to go to all the various churches then.thanks for giving the stannington thread.found it interesting. the trouble is on the s.f.you start with one thread and get involved with others.very good though.then have to trace your steps back to the original.

i went to crookes endowed probably in 1940. can remember walking with my mother down the main road and seeing the shop fronts blown out in the blitz.my father was a special policeman then and helped a lot in the crookes area.when he was on duty he would pop home to check we were ok then go back.i didn.t go on any trips from school.left there when i was about 9 to go to stannington.high matlock road near siddens quarry.then left to live at crookes again.went back to duncan d about 2 years ago.had changed a ot.also went back to high matlock rd and the bungalow i lived in had been flattened and new houses on it.shame as we loved it there.was everything for kids to do.used to go down matlock wood and round loxeley.no fear then.stll good memories

my in laws live on toftwood road. they orignally came from bute street & elgin street

My mother and her parents lived on Bute Street and Elgin Street, a relative of my grandfather's lived on Carson Road - he was there in the 1901 census... His surname was "Watson" - Wykewatson, any relation???!!!! :)

Archived