Duncan Road - Crookes

hi CarolW . my name watson is by marriage and don.t think there is a connection with bute street/elgin street.i remember carson road.by the side of the school i think .is bute street/elgin street hat side of crookes. i believe my husband had relatives on nethergate road many moons ago.

I lived on Tasker Road which ran off Mulehouse Rd from 1943 to 55, so I knew that area very well, I went to school with a girl called Joan Baker that lived on Duncan Rd, an old mate of mine now lives on there, another moved to a new housing estate that was built on what we called the old gardens at the top of Stannington View Rd, near to what we called the first farm.

I have very happy memories of that area, Crookes was a fantastic place to live in those days, the majority of the kids from that area went to Crookes Endowed School, others went to Lydgate Lane school, I remember well the bonfire that was held every year on a spare block of land between Brick St & Carson Rd.

Having the Bole hills & Riverlin so close was a haven for kids to play in that era, we left home in a morning and only went home at teatime, our favourite pastimes were pinching goosberries from the gardens next to the cemetery & jumping on the tram going into the tram sheds on Pickmere Rd after the conducter had gone into the post office to cash in his fares for the day, they were the good old days.

Not heard those names in a long while skippy. The old gardens the first farm and the Cemetery wood. Remember the second farm - now the Den bank estate, Crookes WMC, with the old pavillion - once we found a barrage balloon there. Behind the old gardens, at ther top of Duncan Road, there were four old terraced houses (now flats) just below them were some very old cottages I recall them being knocked-down around 1950 - the site of St. Anthony's well. For a whole gang of us the Rivelin Valley was our playground ( Donkey wood, Bluebell wood inc.) I was brought -up on Stannington View Road and then Duncan Road and skippy you are dead right it was a glorious time. No one bothered about trainers, mobile phones or expensive toys because nobody had owt, but it was the best childhood ever.

Wyke, google, live search maps, Sheffield UK, you can zoom in over any area, the more you zoom, the more road names come up, that's how I found Elgin & Bute streets, I remembered the names but not where they were.

ELMAMBO, you will remember the rock on the Bole Hills that looked like the bow of a ship too, pinching turnips from the farm to eat on the way to Rivelin, [everyone had a pen knife in those days] then off we would go to cach tadpoles, sticklebacks or the old redbreast if we were lucky with our jam jar & net.

Standing outside the pictures asking, can you take one in please, [if the film was an A movie,] kids wouldn't be allowed to do that today.

I well remember going to the shops for the neighbours, they seemed so far away at the time, when I visited in 1990, I was suprised to see they were only about 12 houses away, the number of cars parked on the roads too blew me out, as there was only one on our street when I was growing up, I've so many good memories of that area.

hi skippy thanks for the google search idea. will do that later.

elmambo. glad for the info.about the colltagesat the bottom of duncan road. wondered what happened to them.i remember that club on mulehouse and also saw barage balloons. seem to remember a field below the cottages at duncan. there was a stream where tadpoles were. also remember the walk through to denbank. lovely days.carefree days. going to donkey wood for acorns and bluebell wood.perhapsd couldn.t do it nowadays. sqirrels may have rights and we wouldn.t be allowed to take acorns. and bluebells also. used to wait outside thecinema and get someone to take me in if an adult picture. yes they were the good days.bet the kids of today would love it really.if brought up from the start to enjoy it. christmas was a stocking with a coin in and an orange saved up from rations.remember harrisons at stannington top of 2 fields. used to walk over these fields to school.german p,o.w.s were working thereand made wooden bats with picking chickens which they sold to us.all pegal then.no problems with them.think the fcame from a campin wood lane.

My mother and her parents lived on Bute Street and Elgin Street,

I went to school with the Beardshaws, Sheppards & Someone called Frost that lived on Elgin or Bute in the late 50's early 60's.

My mother and her parents lived on Bute Street and Elgin Street,

I went to school with the Beardshaws, Sheppards & Someone called Frost that lived on Elgin or Bute in the late 50's early 60's.

My gran's next door neighbour was a Mrs Sheppard (or Shepherd???) - I can vaguely remember her, she used to make dresses for me...!!

The Shephers I knew were Richard & Harvey who lived on the corner of Elgin St, almost opposite St Thomas's church ?

That sounds about right,Skippy.... They lived at the top of Elgin St, the front doors (which were very rarely used) looked out onto Elgin St, but there was an entrance to the back through a gate on Nairn St opposite the church, then you went down the path past the lawns. There were the outhouses on the other side of the lawns. Mrs Shepherd lived in the end house. I do vaguely remember the names Richard and Harvey as well......

I was christened in St Thomas's!!!!!

Grandad was a gardener, the lawn was always edged with loads of roses... I was forever getting into trouble for not walking round the path to get onto the lawn but trying to jump or trample over the rose beds!!!!

That's right Carol, I remember the entrance to the yard being on another road,according to the map I have, it's all called Elgin St, the Beardshaws & Frost's lived on the opposite side of Elgin where it bends around, just before it meets up with Bute St.

My mother used to clean that church years ago, not because she was religous, it was a paying job, there was no help for deserted wives in those days.

Archived