Need some help tracing an ancestor...

I'm trying to find out who my grandfathers mother was without much success.

There is absolutely no record of my grandfathers birth whatsoever, i've searched and searched and other people have helped too.

He was Harry Gower born June 1901. He attended Bole Hill School

His father was James B Gower from Lincolnshire.

Harry and my grandmother Rose had 8 children in all, all taken into care and adopted out. there are a few of the children still alive but non of them know of Harrys family.

Harry had a first wife, Beatrice Ibberson, whom he married in 1927. Unfortunately she died in 1931. They had one son, Leslie, born in 1930.

If anyone can help in offering any info it would be hugely appreciated.

Thankyou x

I'm trying to find out who my grandfathers mother was without much success.

There is absolutely no record of my grandfathers birth whatsoever, i've searched and searched and other people have helped too.

He was Harry Gower born June 1901. He attended Bole Hill School

His father was James B Gower from Lincolnshire.

Harry and my grandmother Rose had 8 children in all, all taken into care and adopted out. there are a few of the children still alive but non of them know of Harrys family.

Harry had a first wife, Beatrice Ibberson, whom he married in 1927. Unfortunately she died in 1931. They had one son, Leslie, born in 1930.

If anyone can help in offering any info it would be hugely appreciated.

Thankyou x

Have a look at the website below. There are some records of pupils, who attended Bole Hill School in the early 1900's.

I`ve had a look on Ancestry and found James B Gower age 26 and wife Annie age 24 living at Brightside Bierlow in 1891. Annie was born Sheffield

James Buckly Gower married Annie Stanley in Sept quarter 1886 in Sheffield

In 1901 James is there but not Annie, though James is married.

Yep i have the details for James and Annie.

James went on to marry Mary Ward in 1905 and fathered a child in that yr with both Annie and Mary :o

Either lady could be Harrys mum or someone else?!

As you have the date of birth from the Bole Hill school registers 27th June 1901, you could apply for the certificate.

I see from the 1901 census that James B GOWER and Annie are living apart. Have you considered that Harry was illegitimate and took his fathers name after his parents married. It seems strange to me that James and Annie had no children in 15 years of marriage, then suddenly have two after 1901. Not impossible I know but still strange.Have you checked the birth certificate of James Leeson GOWER to see who the mother is, perhaps the answer lies there.

Harry Gower

Born c1902

Married Beatrice Ibbotson 1927 aged 25 and was living in Sheffield.

Married Rose Simpson in 1934 aged 32 again living in Sheffield.

His father is James Buckley Gower born in Lincolnshire.

His father was married twice but appears to be a bigamist and had a child with both women during 1905. they were Annie Stanley and Mary Ward. Likely candidate to be Harrys mum is Annie as she was the first wife but i have no proof. He didn't marry Mary til 1905.

he looks to also have a brother, James Leeson Gower, who was a witness at both marriages.

He died in Mar 1958 aged 56yrs living in sheffield.

Have you sent for the birth certificate of Harry "Ward" who was registered in the Sept Q of 1901 at EB, you really need this if only to rule him out.

Tuppie

Its not the Harry Ward, i've checked with Sheffield RO and they confirm that James or Mary aren't the parents.

I can't apply for the certificate cause there is no registry for any 'Harry Gower' with that DOB.

James Leesons mother is Mary Ward, he was born in 1905. It also looks like James had another child in 1905, Spencer Gower, to Annie Stanley.

I agree that it is strange how he got married in 1886 but didn't have any children until 1905, unless they were taken into care or died?

Archived