Goths - whats it all about?

Having watched last nights Coronation Street, I'm in a quandry.

What exactly is a goth? Whats the crack?

Is it about individualism? If so why do they all look alike?

Or is it a fashion of a goth to look like a dishevelled corpse?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Originally posted by Deejay

Is there anyone or anything that you don't have a problem with :suspect:

:hihi: :hihi:

Punks, Goths, Check out the `Suicide Girls` official website and see if you are still asking that question coopster

Not posted link because it would be deemed inappropriate.

Originally posted by venger

:hihi: :hihi:

Punks, Goths, Check out the `Suicide Girls` official website and see if you are still asking that question coopster

Not posted link because it would be deemed inappropriate.

:o when I had to change my Google preferences I thought it must be rude but it seems far removed from

this version/definition.

They just look like any generation of youngsters trying to assert their identity though not individuality as they all look the same. :D

well, (puts cultural studies hat on)

Goth, aka gothic punk, is a northern phenomenon originating, I honestly believe, in Leeds circa 1982-83.

The style has never been consistent, and indeed in the clubs in london around the late 80s (slimelights, kitkat club etc) showed the goth dress code occupying every point in between New Romantic and Punk.

Goths were, in my day at least, people with the Punk Ethic who enjoyed dressing up a bit, and looking smart, or at least meticulously accesorised. Snakebite and Black was the goth standard drink, and when the Sisters of Mercy split you either went all wussy and started listening to the Mission, or you stuck to your guns and bought the Sisterhood LP, followed by the rest of Andy Eldritch's dark, garbled output.

For most goths I knew, music was secondary (unsurprising really, if you listen to most of it, but I first came accross bands like "The Shamen" (in gorbachev we trust) and "Gaye Bykers on Acid" (stewed to the gills) through goth clubs and friends.

Nowadays, 20 years later, who knows what people identify themselves as goths - I just remember the lame joke on Steve Wright (when he used to be on R1) -

"Old goths don't die, they just looked like they have"

I'll always remember when my poor old gran fell in York. The first person to reach her and help her to her feet was a goth. Gran said she felt a bit intimidated to see this goth girl walking towards her, but she was so friendly that her reticence vanished.

Guess it's a case of judging people for their actions, not their dress mode.

Archived