Goths - whats it all about?

Originally posted by MovingOn

I'll always remember when my poor old gran fell in York. The first person to reach her and help her to her feet was a goth. Gran said she felt a bit intimidated to see this goth girl walking towards her, but she was so friendly that her reticence vanished.

Guess it's a case of judging people for their actions, not their dress mode.

York used to have quite a large gathering of Goths. Well, they've got the architecture haven't they, y'know, for the vampires and the bats! I once went in a nightclub there and they played This Corrosion by the Sisters of Mercy that loud my ears are still ringing - 17 years on!!

It's nice to know that Coronation Street has finally caught up, or caught on. Let me know when Gail starts dressing in white foundation, red lippy and fish nets.

On the other hand, don't, I'm wretching at the thought now.

Youngsters need to find identity with a group. It's not really about being individual personally, but often being individual as a group. When I was a kid you were either a grunge kid (who included a lot of goths) or a scally. The grunge kids generally sat off on a field somewhere and played guitars the scallies wandered around and beat people up.

It's not really strange that kids need to identify with a group when they are at a venerable age. Especially when it's a group that doesn't want to conform to the accepted norm. Dressing like a goth doesn't harm anyone. Taking offence at a goth because you don't approve of their dress sense is a bit daft if you think about it. Everyone goes through some kind of phase when they're that age (well most normal people anyway).

I don't have any problem with goths, they may look slightly scary but at least they're fairly quiet. When I was in my late teens early twenties I was very involved in the rock/biker scene and i can remember people thinking we must be horrible basing this purely on the way we looked. Punks and trendies are two groups that I'm not so fond of as they were often obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious.

I wouldn't agree either that they look like corpses, what's wrong with wearing black and dramatic make-up, I've always thought goth lasses look great.

I went through a pretty Goth/Punk phase when I was in 6th Form :? black nail varnish randomly gothy/punk clothes, 6 inch spikes for hair :?

Now I'm at Uni it's slowly fading away due to lazyness, the big hair spikes appear every now and again, but I dont let it grow nearly as long as I used to... its just too much effort to spend 20mins on your hair in the morning!

my dress sense is still rather alternative, but random casual clothing is slowly creeping in... I find its hard to attract anything but goth's when your dressed gothy/punk... and I want a broad range of women ;)

but some goth women... phwaaahhhh... I must say looking slightly gothy can be a turn on... but some women just take it WAY too far... I'm not a lover of people with 50 piercings :?

Archived